newbie setting up 15' round AGP

Jun 29, 2011
hi, i'm just in the process of installing a 15' round above ground pool, just about to do the plumbing and have a few questions.

I want to locate the equipment close to the house in order to reduce distance for gas and hydro for the heater/pump - distance from skimmer/return jet to house is about 30' or 60' round trip

Questions:
- don't know the make/model of pump - but assuming its std equip, can the pump handle this distance - my guess is yes it should be fine
- should I use flex or hard pvc piping - what are the pros/cons of each?

Thanks for your help Rob

If it's anything but and Intex pump then it will handle the distance fine.

I wouldn't use hoses, but either flex or rigid PVC will be fine. I prefer rigid because it makes a much neater looking job but I'm not one of those people that believes that flex is evil.

I've got a combination of hard and flex, both are great.
Flex is super easy: measure, cut, connect, clamp. Only draw back for me is the weight of it and how much it pulls on the skimmer and return fitting, but it sure seems durable.
Hard PVC is a bit more involved but still pretty simple, just have to map out all the connectors you need and then cut and seal them together. Make sure you get PVC rated for the job since the flow is under pressure, personally I'd use unions where ever feasible.

Planning to do more hard plumbing next year when I get a solar heater, so far I've had enough building this year.

I hesitate to just say "the white stuff" as my hardware store had 2 types of the white, but yes, in the end I used the white stuff not the black. Just ask at the store to be sure, it needs to be suited to a pressure situation

more questions re: heaters.

looking to get a heater primarily to help with the shoulder seasons
- gas? solar?

- leaning towards gas - any particular brands to stay away from raypak, hayward, laars?

thanks rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.