Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: newbie setting up 15' round AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

newbie setting up 15' round AGP

hi, i'm just in the process of installing a 15' round above ground pool, just about to do the plumbing and have a few questions.

I want to locate the equipment close to the house in order to reduce distance for gas and hydro for the heater/pump - distance from skimmer/return jet to house is about 30' or 60' round trip

Questions:
    - don't know the make/model of pump - but assuming its std equip, can the pump handle this distance - my guess is yes it should be fine
    - should I use flex or hard pvc piping - what are the pros/cons of each?

Thanks for your help Rob

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: newbie setting up 15' round AGP

If it's anything but and Intex pump then it will handle the distance fine.

I wouldn't use hoses, but either flex or rigid PVC will be fine. I prefer rigid because it makes a much neater looking job but I'm not one of those people that believes that flex is evil.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the info.

no its not an intex...i think jaccuzzi.

i think i will go hard pvc...inside diameter should i get?

thanks rob

4. Back To Top    #4

1½" is common but we recommend 2" if possible. Your equipment is most likely 1½".
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I've got a combination of hard and flex, both are great.
    Flex is super easy: measure, cut, connect, clamp. Only draw back for me is the weight of it and how much it pulls on the skimmer and return fitting, but it sure seems durable.
    Hard PVC is a bit more involved but still pretty simple, just have to map out all the connectors you need and then cut and seal them together. Make sure you get PVC rated for the job since the flow is under pressure, personally I'd use unions where ever feasible.

Planning to do more hard plumbing next year when I get a solar heater, so far I've had enough building this year.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks for the additional info.

what grade hard pvc can i use...the white stuff or the thicker black stuff?

7. Back To Top    #7

I hesitate to just say "the white stuff" as my hardware store had 2 types of the white, but yes, in the end I used the white stuff not the black. Just ask at the store to be sure, it needs to be suited to a pressure situation
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

8. Back To Top    #8

You need schedule 40 to do the job.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

9. Back To Top    #9

more questions re: heaters.

looking to get a heater primarily to help with the shoulder seasons
    - gas? solar?

- leaning towards gas - any particular brands to stay away from raypak, hayward, laars?

thanks rob