Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crazy cooling idea

1. Back To Top    #1

Crazy cooling idea

So, my pool is bathwater hot. ick. What would happen if I poured some liquid nitrogen into the pool? I saw some videos, it was a nice smoke/vapor show. But would it do any significant cooling? I could only get a gallon or so at a time though.
    Size: 11370 gallons
    Filter: sta-rite cartridge
    pool: In-ground vinyl
    pump: ?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crazy cooling idea

Did you take a look at this thread? dry-ice-t18693.html
    22,000 gallons "L" shaped with spillway spa; Hayward 4820 DE; IG Vinyl; 2000 ppm salt; 50 ppm Borates; liquid chlorine; Polaris w/ booster; TF-100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

It wouldn't be worth it. You'd be better off investing in a solar system and using that at night to cool the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What would happen if I poured some liquid nitrogen into the pool?
    I am pretty sure there is a "You might be a redneck......" joke in there somewhere. I just have to think about it for a bit.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I poured a bunch of liquid nitrogen into my pool. It was a cool display!

But as for cooling it down, no, not at all. The specific heat of water is really high. It has so much thermal inertia that it'd take enormous amounts of even super cold liquids to make appreciable differences in pool-sized bodies of water.
    I laughto disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′ | Filtration DE 48′ | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33N 97W)

6. Back To Top    #6

I am pretty sure there is a "You might be a redneck......" joke in there somewhere. I just have to think about it for a bit.
    Uhhhhhhh................does it come in red and blue for the 4th? I would never be asking for myself of course
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the input. I thought that it wouldn't work for one reason or another, just thought I would float it out there.
    Size: 11370 gallons
    Filter: sta-rite cartridge
    pool: In-ground vinyl
    pump: ?

8. Back To Top    #8

You could create some sort of aerating device to increase the evaporation of water, which will help cool the pool.

However, it will cause your pH to rise due to loss of carbon dioxide and it might cause increases in calcium and TA if your fill water is high in those because you will need to refill water lost to evaporation.

9. Back To Top    #9

I use a simple PVC pipe that pugs into my Polaris socket and with the booster pump on it creates about a 20' fountain. The falling water is several degrees cooler and over time cools down the pool very well. There are quite a few threads on here with pictures if you want to search.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

I personally set my timer to run and cycle water at night and that helps keep the water quite a bit cooler...
    24k in-ground Fiberglass Pool, Easy Touch Automated Timer, IntelliChlor Salt Generator, Sand Filter, 1.5HP pump, Aqua Cover, Diving Board, Slide

11. Back To Top    #11

I purchased a pair of these a few years ago. They look ungainly but they work surprisingly well. I have used them several times, most recently last weekend - when the water temp of my ~16,500 gallon inground had reached an unrefreshing 90 °F. They lowered my water temp 5 °F overnight. Take only a few minutes to install into your returns. If you think they're ugly, don't worry - they work best overnight, so you can remove them in the morning. The only trick is to partly or completely close some or all of the other returns to increase the pressure from the returns in which you have installed the cooler pipes. I have also found them very useful when lowering TA via acid/aeration. I'm about to install them again, my water temp is 89 °F and the forecast is for 95 °F tomorrow and 100 °F on Monday. You could probably fabricate your own, but in my opinion it's not worth the trouble at a cost of ~ $35/apiece plus shipping.

12. Back To Top    #12

My pool can easily loose 5 degrees overnight without anything running at all. I run the fountain during the day to keep the temps from from climbing too high in the first place and you'll get a lot more evaporation and thus cooling from that.
    Gary
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm not so fortunate. My pool is located in a half walk-out which mimics a solar oven. Imagine a large concrete patio between the house and the pool deck, which is also concrete and girdles the entire pool at an average width of ~ 3.5'. Then imagine long architectural masonry block walls on each end of the pool, one 8' tall and the other stepping down from 6.5' to 3.0'. Add a SSW exposure and stir, and the ambient air temp in the pool area can easily exceed 120 °F on a 100 °F day. As a result, my water temp doesn't drop much overnight during hot spells - all of that concrete and block radiate heat all night long. The upside is a slightly longer pool season - even without using my heater.