Pool Slope Questions

msujohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
Frisco, Texas
I am trying to determine if I should go with a 6 feet or 8 1/2 feet deep pool. It will only be 33 feet long and 22 feet wide. My preference is to go 8 1/2 if I can. Will the slope on the pool be to much if I start it out at 3 1/2 feet? How many feet can I have in the 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 feet range then start to drop? I'm sure that there is some ratio to determine the drop. For some reason most builders do not want to go in between 6 feet and 8 1/2.

I have 2 boys 6 and 8. I don't plan to get a diving board. But would let them jump off a jumping rock that will be 3 feet off the water.

In a pool 33' long, you're either going to have a very small deep end (which defeats the purpose) or a very small shallow end. There's a guideline for the max slope a transition can be, so that's pretty much set.

To me the ideal pool is shallow on each end and about 6' deep in the middle with rolling slopes.

msujohn, are you having a diving board in the deep end? that's the only thing i'd want to go that deep for. i am having a 18x36 pool installed right now and it goes from 3.5-7ft and i think it's just right. i have no diving board just a small jump rock in the deep end.

I am not having a diving board - I am having a jump rock as well. But the builders will only build a 6 feet or 8 1/2 feet deep pool. For some reason, they will not go to 7 feet deep. I was hoping that I would be able to have some room to play volleyball as well, but that doesn't look like I can do that.

msujohn said:
I am not having a diving board - I am having a jump rock as well. But the builders will only build a 6 feet or 8 1/2 feet deep pool. For some reason, they will not go to 7 feet deep. I was hoping that I would be able to have some room to play volleyball as well, but that doesn't look like I can do that.
just reread your original post. with a 3 foot high jump rock you might want to go that deep. it would make the slope much less if you could lengthen the pool a few more feet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also remember if your deep end is in the middle, both ends will have a steeper slope to the middle and might be less comfortable to stand on. If your deep end is on one end, the slope will be more gradual and give you more usable space for the kids.

msujohn, are you having a diving board in the deep end? that's the only thing i'd want to go that deep for. i am having a 18x36 pool installed right now and it goes from 3.5-7ft and i think it's just right. i have no diving board just a small jump rock in the deep end.

We are thinking of a similar plan. Do you still like your pool? Ours would be 4’ to 7’.

I have 18x36 and went 9 ft deep with no diving board or rock. I am 6'4" so I like the extra depth. The shallow end has plenty of room for the family. The shallow did get a little crowded with 15 people in it trying to play some hoops. Although after that the 2 hours they had jumping in the deep end made up for it. I figure I like having the deep end 50% of the time and wish I had more shallow 50% of the time. I figure that is perfect.

Reactions: LaiMi
I have 18x36 and went 9 ft deep with no diving board or rock. I am 6'4" so I like the extra depth. The shallow end has plenty of room for the family. The shallow did get a little crowded with 15 people in it trying to play some hoops. Although after that the 2 hours they had jumping in the deep end made up for it. I figure I like having the deep end 50% of the time and wish I had more shallow 50% of the time. I figure that is perfect.

How wide is your shallow end? Ours will be approx. 14x16 and another 2 foot walking ledge around the perimeter.

Shallow is 18 feet. It is a rectangle pool. I have not measured it, but that is what we wanted them to build it at. I guess I should measure it to be sure. I have always had trouble getting the gallons in the pool and the chems right. I do better at educated guesses with the addition of chems, well only muratic acid and liquid chlorine since I found tfp. Once the rain stops this weekend I'll measure to be sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.