Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Slope Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Slope Questions

I am trying to determine if I should go with a 6 feet or 8 1/2 feet deep pool. It will only be 33 feet long and 22 feet wide. My preference is to go 8 1/2 if I can. Will the slope on the pool be to much if I start it out at 3 1/2 feet? How many feet can I have in the 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 feet range then start to drop? I'm sure that there is some ratio to determine the drop. For some reason most builders do not want to go in between 6 feet and 8 1/2.

I have 2 boys 6 and 8. I don't plan to get a diving board. But would let them jump off a jumping rock that will be 3 feet off the water.
    33'x21' In-ground (23,000 gal) - 8' spa raised 18" with 8 jets | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation Aquapure 1400 SWG | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP & Jandy 1.5HP stealth water feature pump | Heating Jandy LRZ400 | Lighting Jandy LED Spa (1)/Pool (2) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard & Moss Rock | Finish pebble sheen type (riversand) Tahoe Blue

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool Slope Questions

Your state will have some building codes that will dictate what you can build. I will say that a pool that size going to 8.5 feet will not have much of a shallow end.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In a pool 33' long, you're either going to have a very small deep end (which defeats the purpose) or a very small shallow end. There's a guideline for the max slope a transition can be, so that's pretty much set.

To me the ideal pool is shallow on each end and about 6' deep in the middle with rolling slopes.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe the legal ratio is 12" of drop for every 36" of distance.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

msujohn, are you having a diving board in the deep end? that's the only thing i'd want to go that deep for. i am having a 18x36 pool installed right now and it goes from 3.5-7ft and i think it's just right. i have no diving board just a small jump rock in the deep end.

6. Back To Top    #6

I am not having a diving board - I am having a jump rock as well. But the builders will only build a 6 feet or 8 1/2 feet deep pool. For some reason, they will not go to 7 feet deep. I was hoping that I would be able to have some room to play volleyball as well, but that doesn't look like I can do that.
    33'x21' In-ground (23,000 gal) - 8' spa raised 18" with 8 jets | Filtration Jandy DE 60 | Sanitation Aquapure 1400 SWG | Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3.0HP & Jandy 1.5HP stealth water feature pump | Heating Jandy LRZ400 | Lighting Jandy LED Spa (1)/Pool (2) | Coping Tennessee Crab Orchard & Moss Rock | Finish pebble sheen type (riversand) Tahoe Blue

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by msujohn
    I am not having a diving board - I am having a jump rock as well. But the builders will only build a 6 feet or 8 1/2 feet deep pool. For some reason, they will not go to 7 feet deep. I was hoping that I would be able to have some room to play volleyball as well, but that doesn't look like I can do that.
    just reread your original post. with a 3 foot high jump rock you might want to go that deep. it would make the slope much less if you could lengthen the pool a few more feet.

8. Back To Top    #8

I just had a 32X16 installed, the slope is a 14. It left 8 Feet of shallow and the rest is into the deep end.
    Purposed new pool at home being built- 20x40 vinyl pool, 20ft vinyl covered steps, Automatic cover, 6 ft sheer decent, 4 lighted deck jets, lime stone coping, easy touch, heat pump, SPA- 8x8 fiberglass shell, limestone steps surrounding
    previous home- 16 x 32 IG Vinyl- Install- Mid June 2011. 3ft Shallow 8ft Deep/ Totally Hayward 1HP pump/ 250 pound Sand/ AquaPro800 Heat pump/ Blue Hampton Liner/ 2 Intellibrite LED Lights/ Polaris 360/ 4 Deckjet II's/ 3ft concrete Apron/ 800 sq ft Paver Patio

9. Back To Top    #9

I originally was gonna get a 16x32 with a 8 ft deep and but ended up with a 15x30 6 ft deep and Im glad I did.I can still bounce around in the deep end with a drink.

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't have the ability to go any longer than 33 feet (my yard is limited). So trying to decide if I can live with very little shallow end or just go with a 6 feet deep pool.

11. Back To Top    #11

Those 6 & 8 year old's are gonna spend the next few years mostly in the shallow end. I'd go less deep and more of a shallow end.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Also remember if your deep end is in the middle, both ends will have a steeper slope to the middle and might be less comfortable to stand on. If your deep end is on one end, the slope will be more gradual and give you more usable space for the kids.