Aqua Logic Electrical Problem

flintstone

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
Rockville, CA
I have a four year old Aqua Logic PS-4. I received an error message indicating "LOW VOLTS." I checked my manual and this website and recognized many others had experienced a similar problem. I went into diagnostic mode and pressed the + button. The display counted down from 15 to zero. I then got a reading showing -26.130 V and -5.52 Amps. Water temp was 69 degrees with a salt level of 3000. The negative numbers were fluctuating quite a bit, but by no more than 1.0.

After 15 minutes or so, the negative numbers/reverse polarity numbers were gone and the display indicated the same "Low Volts" error message. Cut the power at the breakers on the SWG panel and pulled off the cover. Didn't see anything remarkable. Really didn't want to pull the inner board off to check the notorious K-1 module, because 1. I have no electrical ability and 2. I have nearly electrocuted myself once or twice, so I am living on borrowed time as it is. I wasn't sure if the breakers on the panel cut electricity to the unit or not.

I put the display and cover back on. I tried the diagnostic message/ press + again and after 15 seconds or so, things got interesting. I heard the sound of electrical shorting/crackling behind the board in the general area of the K-1 module, noted the Volts had shot up to 40 and cut the breaker. Now, All I get is a "No Cell Power" message. Went from bad to worse.

What options do I have at this time? Does cutting the breakers at the Aqua Logic board cut electricity to the entire board? Is there anything in there when the breakers at the AQL box are off that could kill me? I am thinking I likely need to replace the entire board or is there any hope for a cheaper fix now that I've seen 40 Volts on the display? Should I try it again to see what happens?

No, cutting the power off at the main breaker on the panel will cut the power completely. Sounds like a loose connection if your hearing arcing? Can you look around the varistor and see if the board has burning around it? I would turn it back on and unplug the cell and see if it stays on without arcing. Then plug the cell back in.

I pulled the plug and received a message: "Sensor Fault." Plugged it back in, had to turn it off by pressing minus, received the message "Cell Off Low Temp" despite the fact that it stilll showes 69 degrees. Turned it back on using + and received the message "Chlorinator Off No Cell Power." I haven't pulled the second/inner board off yet. I guess the cell is sending information to the board. But the board is not sending power to the cell. No arcing this time at all. (The score is 6-2. Nice catch.) So, pull the board?

Yes, you are going to get those faults because the board needs to talk to the cell. I was trying to troubleshoot the cell to see if the cell was causing your arcing. Those faults are all normal for the cell not being plugged in. Sounds like it could be the board. Look at the varistor to see if there is any tan or darkness around it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.