About to make the big purchase...first of many questions

Jun 28, 2011
First of all thanks to everyone who contributes on this site as it has already been a wonderful resource.

I am about to buy an AGP, must likely a 41X21 doughboy package. We are still deciding on whether or not to add a deep end as it will be a very costly upgrade. The package includes pump and filter. We are adding two main drains and an extra skimmer and an extra return.

The question for now is which filter to go with. The choice of included filters is either the Hayward S180T 18" Pro Series Sand Filter or Hayward EC50AC Series Perflex Systems. I originally wanted a Sand filter but the DE seems like it is a lot bigger ratings wise. I know Sand or DE is personal preference but it seems like the size of the filters is a big factor here. I am leaning with towards the DE because it is bigger. We have already decided to upgrade to the Hayward Superpump.

Any help on my about to be setup is appreciated!!

I am located in SW Chicago area.

Welcome to TFP!

That is a strange selection. Those filters aren't really in the same price range. The S180T is under $200, while the EC50AC is around $275.

DE is more work to take care of, well worth it for some people, but not everyone likes the extra attention it requires.

Try to get a two speed pump if you possibly can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.