Drain question

rjmac

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 7, 2010
El Paso, TX
I'm not sure what this drain style is called but it is basically a 2ft X 3ft square container roughly 3ft deep. It never completely drains, leaving about a foot of standing water which is a breeding ground for mosquitoes (hate them). Is anyone familiar with this? Can I just remove the container and extend the PVC pipe straight to the drain (shown in pic to the right with a drain cap)? The drain to the right is an upside-down Y. As the water fills inside the container, the pressure of the excess water empties into the drain but always leaving a foot of standing water. I want to eliminate the standing water situation.

Thoughts?

Rick[attachment=0:3jofwjdl]tn2.jpg[/attachment:3jofwjdl][attachment=1:3jofwjdl]tn.jpg[/attachment:3jofwjdl]

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 68
  • tn2.jpg
    tn2.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 68
Standing water in waste drain breeding mosquitoes

Please keep everything on one topic together in one place. JasonLion

I am reposting this here because I'm not sure what index it falls under. I'm not sure what this drain style is called but it is basically a 2ft X 3ft square container roughly 3ft deep. It never completely drains, leaving about a foot of standing water which is a breeding ground for mosquitoes (hate them). Is anyone familiar with this? Can I just remove the container and extend the PVC pipe straight to the drain (shown in pic to the right with a drain cap)? The drain to the right is an upside-down Y. As the water fills inside the container, the pressure of the excess water empties into the drain but always leaving a foot of standing water. I want to eliminate the standing water situation.

Thoughts?

Rick

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 63
  • tn2.jpg
    tn2.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 63
I believe that is a settling basin for DE after backwashing.

I have no idea what the building code says about it, whether it's required or not, and whether hard-plumbing the drain to the sewer is allowed. I'd be tempted to fill the thing with dirt -in case you do need it later, you can always shovel it out - and get a backwash hose (really just a plastic tube) and discharge it on the lawn, or out in the back 40, whatever works.

JasonLion said:
Is that part of your pool plumbing or related to something else? Can you tell us what it is connected to?

This is strictly for the pool water that is emptied to waste, so yes I suppose it is part of the pool plumbing. The container in question has a drain pvc pipe at the bottom that is connected to the upside down Y I mentioned before. One end of the upsidedown "Y" goes to drain (sewer) and the other is at the bottom of the container. I think as the container fills with pool water, the weight and gravity of the water fills and drains out but not completely.

Re: Standing water in waste drain breeding mosquitoes

ROB N said:
Why not just drop some type of larvicide tablet in there so the larvae will not survive?

I dont want to continue dealing with the mosquitoes, I really just want to get rid of that drain container and see if connecting the pvc pipe directly to the drain pipe you see in the picture.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.