Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain question

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain question

I'm not sure what this drain style is called but it is basically a 2ft X 3ft square container roughly 3ft deep. It never completely drains, leaving about a foot of standing water which is a breeding ground for mosquitoes (hate them). Is anyone familiar with this? Can I just remove the container and extend the PVC pipe straight to the drain (shown in pic to the right with a drain cap)? The drain to the right is an upside-down Y. As the water fills inside the container, the pressure of the excess water empties into the drain but always leaving a foot of standing water. I want to eliminate the standing water situation.

Thoughts?

Rick[attachment=0:3jofwjdl]tn2.jpg[/attachment:3jofwjdl][attachment=1:3jofwjdl]tn.jpg[/attachment:3jofwjdl]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    El Paso, Texas
    16x32 Rectangular In-Ground Pool - Plaster - Cartridge Filter - 25,000 gallons - TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Standing water in waste drain breeding mosquitoes

Please keep everything on one topic together in one place. JasonLion

I am reposting this here because I'm not sure what index it falls under. I'm not sure what this drain style is called but it is basically a 2ft X 3ft square container roughly 3ft deep. It never completely drains, leaving about a foot of standing water which is a breeding ground for mosquitoes (hate them). Is anyone familiar with this? Can I just remove the container and extend the PVC pipe straight to the drain (shown in pic to the right with a drain cap)? The drain to the right is an upside-down Y. As the water fills inside the container, the pressure of the excess water empties into the drain but always leaving a foot of standing water. I want to eliminate the standing water situation.

Thoughts?

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    El Paso, Texas
    16x32 Rectangular In-Ground Pool - Plaster - Cartridge Filter - 25,000 gallons - TF100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Drain question

Is that part of your pool plumbing or related to something else? Can you tell us what it is connected to?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Standing water in waste drain breeding mosquitoes

Why not just drop some type of larvicide tablet in there so the larvae will not survive?
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

I believe that is a settling basin for DE after backwashing.

I have no idea what the building code says about it, whether it's required or not, and whether hard-plumbing the drain to the sewer is allowed. I'd be tempted to fill the thing with dirt -in case you do need it later, you can always shovel it out - and get a backwash hose (really just a plastic tube) and discharge it on the lawn, or out in the back 40, whatever works.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Is that part of your pool plumbing or related to something else? Can you tell us what it is connected to?
    This is strictly for the pool water that is emptied to waste, so yes I suppose it is part of the pool plumbing. The container in question has a drain pvc pipe at the bottom that is connected to the upside down Y I mentioned before. One end of the upsidedown "Y" goes to drain (sewer) and the other is at the bottom of the container. I think as the container fills with pool water, the weight and gravity of the water fills and drains out but not completely.
    El Paso, Texas

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Standing water in waste drain breeding mosquitoes

Quote Originally Posted by ROB N
    Why not just drop some type of larvicide tablet in there so the larvae will not survive?

I dont want to continue dealing with the mosquitoes, I really just want to get rid of that drain container and see if connecting the pvc pipe directly to the drain pipe you see in the picture.

Thanks
    El Paso, Texas