Numbers not changing... need help!

Jun 4, 2008
Alabama
My pool has been looking great, but it is starting to take a cloudy turn. I have added the recommended MA, but my numbers are not changing.

About three months ago we had a new liner put in and I installed an Intelichlor IC40 SWG. My fill water has very high PH, so I went ahead and stocked up with MA. I have added around 4 gallons of MA over the last month or so typically a gallon at the time and my PH and TA will not come down. None of my returns are breaking the surface of the water, so I am not aerating... I don't know what is going on.

I am currently running my pump around 12 hours a day and my pool has direct sunlight from early morning until late afternoon. Current water temp is 90. I know my chlorine is low and will change my schedule to run longer to compensate.

I also test with a Taylor 2006 kit and my numbers are listed below. Any suggestions are welcomed.

FC = 1
CC = 0
PH = 8.0 + (very pink)
TA = 200
CH = 50
CYA = 60
Salt = 3200

After 4 gallons of acid, that TA is still sorta high. I wonder what it was initially?

Sorry to tell you this, but you're going to need to keep adding acid. Eventually things will come into range. (Just a thought: you didn't accidentally buy the half-strength MA, did you?) There is a disclaimer on Pool Calculator that says, "Results are approximate and can be off significantly for large pH changes." But it should take only a little over 2 qts of 31% acid to get you to 7.5 pH. The high TA will drive that back up again quickly, so I recommend adding acid, brush a bit to get it all well mixed (pump on, of course) and recheck pH in half an hour or so and see what it reads then. At least you'll know it is possible, if only for brief periods.

You might also take a gander at the bottom of Pool Calculator for "Effects of adding chemicals." You'll see that 2 qts of acid will drop pH all right, but TA will only go down 4.8!! So it's going to take a loooooooong time and a lot of acid to get that 200 down to 80 or so.

Thanks for the quick reply Richard.

My initial reading for TA was 240. Also, I am using the full strength 31% MA. I guess it will just take a while like you said. I just wanted to make sure I am doing everything I should be.

As far as adding MA goes, how much can I add at one time and how often can I add it? Thanks again for the help.

ovranalyzr said:
Thanks for the quick reply Richard.

My initial reading for TA was 240. Also, I am using the full strength 31% MA. I guess it will just take a while like you said. I just wanted to make sure I am doing everything I should be.

As far as adding MA goes, how much can I add at one time and how often can I add it? Thanks again for the help.

I'd just follow the directions here: pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

You can go for serious aeration and run through a lot of acid fast and get TA down fast, or just continue the way you have been and run through a lot of acid slow and get TA down slow. The important thing is to keep pH between 7.4 and 7.8, however often that means adjusting. If you devote a weekend to reducing TA, you'll probably be able to stay in range for a few days at a time after TA is down below 100.

So be impatient - lowering TA is one of the few things you can speed up! Look at some of the links in that article, head over to the hardware store tomorrow and get some PVC pipe, and spend your weekend aerating. Last year, Poolgirl set up a submersible pump with a lawn sprinkler to aerate.

If you don't drop pH below 7.2, the kids will love splashing around with a fountain in the pool! Once an hour, kick 'em out for a potty break and snack, test, add acid, mix it around a little, and let 'em back in.

The cloudiness in your pool is likely caused by the lack of CHLORINE....not your pH.

I would suggest putting in as much acid as it takes to get your pH into the 7's (regardless of how much it takes) and, then secondly, there is a good chance you need to shock the pool because you lack chlorine.

Bring your FC up to around 6-8ppm and if the cloudiness does not correct itself in a day or so, you will need to shock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.