Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why did they have me spend money bonding pool, no metal??

1. Back To Top    #1

Why did they have me spend money bonding pool, no metal??

Finished pool build and we had electrical bonded. The pb ended up putting in fiberglass rail and steps. I had never seen anything but stainless in a pool before.

There is no metal in my fiberglass pool to touch. Why would bonding be of benefit?
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why did they have me spend money bonding pool, no metal?

The goal of bonding is to get everything you might touch at the same electrical potential. Many things are conductive and need to be bonded even without any obvious metal parts, notably the pool water and the deck, as well as the more obvious things like the pump, heater if you have one, and SWG if you have one,
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Why did they have me spend money bonding pool, no metal?

Thanks for the explaination.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir