Cracked Concrete Pool Deck with Settling

Mar 26, 2011
Hi guys,

We just bought a home with an inground pool that is about 15 years old. We have recently had the pool refinished with Pebble Tech and also added new tile.

All that is good but.... the concrete pool deck is cracked and settling. Some cracks are 1/4 inch wide. How would you repair these? Would you tear out all the concrete and then replace? CAn I grind out the cracks and then refill and then recoat the entire deck?

I think what could have caused this is that the pool deck doesnt have a drain channel. I think rain water was running off the deck and actually seeping back under the pool deck itself causing erosion.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to repair the cracks where they will no longer re-crack.

If you really want a good looking job, you are resigned to....

1. Confirm the source of the movement. They simply may have poured the concrete too soon over unsettled fill dirt.....that's the most common issue.

2. Once confirmed what the issue is (erosion or settling), then fix that and pour new concrete.

If you decide to just live with it for a while, some polyurethane caulk in the cracks will prevent moisture from seeping down and make it look somewhat more presentable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.