Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do Borates taste bad?

1. Back To Top    #1

SW Georgia

Do Borates taste bad?

My family has been complaining that the water in our pool taste bad. This only started happening since I added Borates. I have to agree that the water does have a different taste than before but since I take care of the pool and Borated help me do that I can get use to the different taste. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this???
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Dallas, TX

Re: Do Borates taste bad?

I would say it's slightly different, but very subtle. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it. I don't make it a habit to drink it though.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

I didn't notice any difference after adding borates. Adding salt gave it a slight salt taste, but borates didn't seem to do anything.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

According to this link, boric acid "has a slight acidic, bitter taste and sweetish after taste." However, I believe they are referring to the powder and not diluted boric acid in water and generally the acidic bitter taste is attributable to low pH which is not the case with pool water.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

I did notice a slight bitter taste when I first added the borates, but it's gone away or we gotten used to it now.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit