Kool Deck Removal

rex

Sep 24, 2008
I have a 5 year old SWG in ground pool with a Kool Deck. The winters for the last two years here in Texas have been particularly harsh for this area and caused my Kool Deck to crack, flake and peel up. Last year I tried a DYI patch kit for a small area and I must say it looks horrible. :cry: Now, more areas have begun to flake up and I'm feed up with the coating as a whole (never again Kool Deck!!). :grrrr:

I would like to start by removing the Kool Deck decking materical all together - whats the best method for this? just a high pressure power washer?

Any suggestions on what to replace it with? any ideas would be of great help! THANKS!

I've had success with my 4500# pressure washer and on other decks, or a heavy gauge metal floor scrapper. On some decks I've had to use a concrete grinder. It's VERY time consuming and dusty. I rented one from a local tool rental place and it has 3 or 4 stones that attach to a wheel. They have an electric version and a gas powered version. If that don't work, time for a 4 1/2" or 7" grinder with a diamond cut cup grinder. Lowes sells both sizes.

As far as what to replace it with, I've had luck with H&C Concrete Resurfacer bought at my local Sherwin Williams paint store. Mix it wet & thin and spray it with a Hopper Ceiling Texture Gun and an Air Compressor. After it has time to dry, not long in your TX heat, use a trowel to knock down the clumps to a suitable texture. Allow 48 hours to dry and follow with a deck stain. Again Sherwin Williams sales H&C deck stain. Two different kinds Water Based and Zylene based. Water based is designed for use on new and never painted/stained concrete. So since you will have removed all the kool deck, the water based will work. It's much easier to work with and clean up. 1-2 coats should be sufficient.

Good Luck,
Joe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.