Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Reno, Nevada

Pump sizing

I currently have a 25,000-gallon IG pool with a WhisperFlo WFE3 .75 HP pump installed in an underground vault about 4 feet below water level - although I just noticed that when the impeller was replaced on the pump 7 years ago, the repairman used a .5 HP impeller. So I'm probably only getting the .5 HP flow rate. First question: Do I have the right-sized pump for my pool? The pool has a single main drain, 2 skimmers, and 4 returns. Couldn't find a pump sizing tool online.
    Second question: I'm thinking of adding a roof-mounted solar heating system for the pool. Will this require a new, larger pump?
    25K gal gunite pool with Auto Cover and Meyco mesh winter cover. Pump and filter in underground vault below level of returns. New Pebble Fina plaster in 7/2010.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pump sizing

That is a very reasonable pump for that pool. I have a WFE-2 on a slightly smaller pool and only need to run it five or six hours a day.

That pump will be fine for most solar systems, though it won't be enough for an especially high roof.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School