Hayward Heater Error

dishe

Jun 6, 2011
Hey everyone-
I'm renting a house with a 20'x40' inground, and the pool is 100% my responsibility (landlord bought house to rent out, doesn't know anything about pools, said I can use it but my problem).

So, it came with a Hayward 350 heater that I've been using, and it worked alright until last year, when I noticed it would shut off after 15 min and say "IF" blinking on the display. I looked up that error, and I guess it means ignition failure, but the thing was working fine before it gives up and decides to stop.
Sometimes I can get it to reset by going to standby and then back to "pool", and then I'm good for another 15 min.

I thought maybe the gas valve wasn't opened all the way from being closed for the winter, so I started adjusting it. I actually found that if open only part of the way, the thing didn't shut off and would last longer (although it wouldn't get as hot so it would take longer to heat the pool).

I asked my landlord to take a look at it, since he's trained in AC/Heat repair, perhaps he would have a better understanding of what is going on than me. He fiddled with the igniter, tried cleaning off some cable leads, and had it going full-blast for about 10-15 minutes before it stopped, only this time it said "LO", not "IF".
And now I can't get it to turn on at all! At least before, I could get it to run in short spurts at a time, now it just says "LO" as soon as I leave standby. Very annoying!

So here's the thing- since its not my house, I can't really throw money into having someone come down to repair this. Since he doesn't use the pool, he's not interested in paying to fix it either (I choose to use the pool, the burden is on me apparently, although he's willing to donate his time to help me out if he can).

Does anyone know what we can do to get this going again?

I had to replace the igniter on mine. If I recall correctly it was about $60 from an online source. It is a Hayward 400, which should be very similar to yours. See if you can find a manual online. I will have a look in my manual and see if I can find what an "IF"code means.

I think that IF was also the code I had. My problem was the igniter. I have several neighbors who have the same pool equipment as I have. Two of us have had to replace the same part. It is part # IDXL21GN1930 SILICON NITRIDE IGNITOR.
BTW: My manual covers both the H350IDL2 and the H400IDL2 heaters.

nice, that might be helpful for me to look at.
Weird- what was yours doing when the igniter needed replacing? Because mine *was* igniting, it was working fine, then it would start to report a problem. I think I read somewhere that if you hear a whistling noise, it means low gas pressure, but I have no clue what would cause that or how to fix it.
Meanwhile, now it won't even get that far- it just blinks LO as soon as I turn it to anything other than standby, and will refuse to do anything else. Can't even get it to say IF anymore. :/

LO means the pressure in the heater is not high enough. When was the last time you backwashed? Mine give the IF error if the filter is really dirty and wont ignite and LO error if the pump is not fully primed or I have 2 of 3 inputs, skimmers and maindrain, closed. Try a backwash and make sure you are running with everything open. I dont know what kind of filter you are running.

I actually backwashed the filter since then, I think. Maybe not- I'll probably have to backwash again over the weekend, so I'll wait until then to see if it makes a difference, but somehow I doubt that's the cause here. Its a DE filter, FYI.

I think the LO error here has to do with gas pressure (according to the manual I found online for a similar heater, LO could be caused by either gas or water pressure). Especially with the whistle noise I heard before it shut off for the last time.
But it used to at least TRY to work, and then shut off. Now it doesn't even do that. Maybe I need to replace sensors? I don't even know where the sensors are on this thing or how to replace them, I'm just going by things mentioned int he troubleshooting part of this manual... :?

I HAD the hayward 400IDL..which caught on fire and was replaced by hayward the "FIRST" time. then when it caught of fire the 2nd time..I got the run around from the company
and have since stayed away from hayward completely
chiefwej said:
I think that IF was also the code I had. My problem was the igniter. I have several neighbors who have the same pool equipment as I have. Two of us have had to replace the same part. It is part # IDXL21GN1930 SILICON NITRIDE IGNITOR.
BTW: My manual covers both the H350IDL2 and the H400IDL2 heaters.
:rant:

I wish I could tell you what the problem is, we had the same thing happen with yours, I called the gas compnay out, thinking I had a leak. They found no leak, tho The smell WAS there. then sometime later it caught of fire.TWICE. I have a feeling this may SOMEDAY be another heater to be recalled..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Hayward Heater h400

airwalkmoonwalks said:
when my heater is turned on it starts then within 10 seconds stops them i get a heavy gas smell then it will light with a loud woff sound then stops and keeps repeating the same over and over.
When it's doing that it's usually a sooted chanber or clogged nozzle/orifice. A good cleaning is called for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.