Can air go from the filter to the pump strainer?

Jun 27, 2011
What I want to know is can air go from the filter to the pump strainer (glass house). It would seem that when even off the plumbing has water in it constantly. Ive got alot of air in my pump strainer and im trying to track it down with no luck so far. Can air get into the underground line? I get no air bubbles from any of my plumbing coming from the ground to the pump strainer, when using dish washer soap and water spray.

Try pouring a little clear water slowly over the pipe joints leading to the pump while the pump is running and look for water being sucked in. Also, make sure the pump drain plug is snug, and check the o-ring on the pump strainer lid. The o-ring should fit without movement or sagging and be solid with no tears, cracks, or crazing. Lube the o-ring well with silicone pool lube before putting the lid back on the pump. Water level in the pool should be at least 1/2 way up the skimmer. When the pump is running the skimmer door/weir should float freely and you should not see any kind of waterfall or whirlpool effect in the skimmer.

If you have water in the pump strainer basket when the pump is running it's not coming from the filter.

Check all the things that Zea mentioned.

You can have a leak under suction and not leak out any water.

ocgamer said:
I get no air bubbles from any of my plumbing coming from the ground to the pump strainer, when using dish washer soap and water spray.

You won't, even with a leak. That part of the plumbing is under negative pressure and will suck air into the pipe (producing bubbles in the basket) rather than leaking anything out.

Lube your strainer basket lid and drain plug(s) and make sure they are tight and have good O-rings. If that doens't help, do the same for any unions or valve-unions on the suction pipe.

I seemed to get all the extra air in my strainer when I opened the strainer to clean it out. The O ring seems ok no cracks or problems with it I use spa lube sold by a pool company to lube it. One never knows the exact amount of torque to use on the glass top lid I generally tighten by hand till its tight. Its very hard to tell if water is being sucked into any of the pipes as water will drip off the pipes and the underside is not going to allow water to stick to it before gravity removes it. Has anyone heard of DE power being lodged in the underground pipes and causing a flow issue?

Whoa thanks for all the input. I cut out the pool to strainer plumbing it was 15 years old anyway, in the off chance I checked the impeller for the hayward pump through the small inlet hole in the strainer. VOILA! the impeller was clogged with dog hair and bamboo Crud. So I removed the motor 6 bolts and cleaned all the inlet jets and comepletely checked all holes and inlets. There was DE+dog hair and bamboo shoots (we have bamboo around the pool). Glued up the input to the strainer remounted the motor now I get jacuzzi output. My floaty boats circle the pool once per minute crazy output now. Zero psi to 20 psi. So for anyone out there with zero pump pressure and they cannot figure it out check the impellers on the pump!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.