Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finally Refilling

1. Back To Top    #1

Finally Refilling

So after fixing 2 leaks and re levleing I am finally refilling the pool. I did realize that after I re-leveled the frame which was only off by 1/2 inch, the inside part of the pool was not level. It was higher on one side then the other. SO my question is, if the frame was level, but the inside sand underneath was not, my water level would not be even. Would that have been a problem?
    other than the obivous not being able to fill the pool evenly.

Also, my pump is leaking around the shaft going into the motor. Any ideas?
    Vinyl 18x36 Single Roman End
    ~26,000 Gallons
    Goldline SWG T-15 Cell
    Sand Filtration
    Pool Tool Zinc Anode
    LaMotte Color-Q Pro 11 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Finally Refilling

You may need a new shaft seal for the motor. What type of above ground pool are you installing?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

intex 15x48 metal frame.

Also,
    at the end of the summer, can I just unhook the top of the pool pipe from the bases and
    lay down the liner and then put a tarp over it for the winter. So I dont have to pack it all away.

Thanks
    ~26,000 Gallons
    Goldline SWG T-15 Cell
    Sand Filtration
    Pool Tool Zinc Anode

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are using the intex pump that came with the pool then you may need to replace the pump. The water being un-level may cause more pressure on the walls on the high water side, which could be problematic over time. It is best to have everything as level as possible.

As for winter storage, whether or not leaving on the ground under a tarp would work depends on many factors.
    1. Are rodents going to come gnaw on the pool over the winter?
    2. Can you completely dry the pool inside and out before covering it to prevent mildew?
    3. Will the pool stay dry under the tarp?
    4. Is there an alternative place to store the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Good questions. I will need to consider. No I have a hayward maxflo 1HP pump. Is it hard to change the seal considering I have never done it before? Should I bring it to a pool repair place, or try it myself? I just don't want to ruin it.
    ~26,000 Gallons
    Goldline SWG T-15 Cell
    Sand Filtration
    Pool Tool Zinc Anode

6. Back To Top    #6

I have not changed a seal myself but several members of TFP have without difficulty. The part is usually less than $10, but I don't know how easy it would be for you to disconnect your pump and take it in to the shop, or how much they would charge to do the work. You can google youtube for pool pump shaft seal replacement and that should pull up a few videos for you to watch and decide if you want to give it a try.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

The bottom being unlevel won't cause the water level to be off as long as the frame is level. It may cause it to bulge like Zea said but it wouldn't be unlevel.

If you're apprehensive about replacing the seal you cna have the pool place do it. They're not hard to replace but if you've never torn a pump down before, it's a liitle daunting.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I got it up and running finally.

So after fixing the leaks in my pool, buying a used filter/pump systems, levleing and releveling,
    filling up and draining and refilling the 15x48 intex pool, it's finally all done and we will be swimming in it today. Thanks to those that to those who toled me to drain it and it fix it. You were right
    I am so glad I did it. Now I can tell my two boys when then ask, " Is the pool ready yet?" I can say "YES"

Tony
    ~26,000 Gallons
    Goldline SWG T-15 Cell
    Sand Filtration
    Pool Tool Zinc Anode

9. Back To Top    #9

Good Job!
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.