Best times to turn off the pump??

Jun 24, 2011
When are the best times to turn off the pump? I don't really want to waste all the electricity running it 24/7. (And it's kind of noisy).
At night is when I add bleach so the sun doesn't ruin it, So I at least need it to mix for a few hours after I do that.

If I leave it off during the day will that promote algae growth? Its a pretty big pump and not that big of a pool so running for a few hours should be able to turn the whole thing over pretty fast I'd think.

woodyp said:
I run mine mostly during the heat of the day. Just an hour after adding the bleach at night is fine.

I have a smart meter, so my electricity is most expensive during "the heat of the day".

8:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. my electric costs 1/2 as much... Just wondering if having it off the rest of the time will give me algae problems or if people normally do this.

If you have your water balanced and your sanitation under control it should not matter when you run the pump. The key is to follow the advice in Pool School and to get a good test kit as recommended in Pool School so you can get the correct dosages. I run mind during after midnight until early morning. I usually add my bleach and acid in the early morning.

If you have tiered rates, use them to your advantage. Do your filtering at night, you'll probably have to manually turn it on to add chemicals or vacuum, or if someone's swimming.

I split my run time by buying a second set of pointers for my Internatic timer. They had them in stock at the local mon-n-pop Ace Hardware! Over the winter, I removed one "on" pointer. When I'm on late shift, I'll mess with the pool in the morning, so the pump gets turned on. By leaving the off pointer in place, I can add whatever and go to work and know it's going to turn off by 10:00. It works for me.

I was wanting to do this as well. I want to run mine from 9pm to 8am and maybe an hour from 11am to 12pm or 5pm to 6pm to avoid premium hydro rates from 12 to 5pm

I have the pro logic system and apparently I can set timers. Does anyone know how to do this???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.