Going to BBB from Pristine Blue

pjiv

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2011
Niagara Falls. NY
I have searched this forum and understand WHY not to use Pristine Blue, but actually I have had no trouble with it at all, I always used the cholorine shock each week and my water is crystal clear and no order. That being said... My wife read this and with the kids.....

So I ordered my TF-100 test kit today and when it comes in I'll start by posting my readings, and I'll use the pool calculator to adjust my levels.

Since Pristine Blue can co-exist with chlorine should I continue using it until gone while also using the BBB method? Around here I never have used PH Down, just UP after a rain I add some to keep it in balance. I'm also sick of going to the pool store and getting a reading, doing the suggested thing, and then going back and it's worse. I'll do my own testing thank you.

Anyone converted from Pristine Blue and regreted doing so?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

The reason Pristine Blue is panned on this forum is that is adds metals to the water; specifically copper. Copper is what turns hair green and stains pool surfaces. Each time you add Pristine Blue to the pool, you are raising the copper level and putting yourself at further risk of developing problems. Because proper chlorination eliminates any possibility of algae development, this would indicate that products containing metals are not at all necessary. We do know for a fact though that they are harmful for the pool. This is why you will probably not find anyone here who regretted not putting metals in their pool (barring any Pristine Blue reps who may be lurking here). We can show you a few thousand here who were sorry that they did add them.

So, knowing what you know now, can you see any reason that you should continue to add Pristine Blue to your pool? :wink:

Just to add a little note:
Pristine blue=copper sulphate algeacide
Pristine power=potassium monopersulfate
Pristine clean=orthophosphoric Acid
Pristine extra=sodium dichlor, oops that's Chlorine and its supposed to be a non chlorine system.
Pristine clear=alum or pac flocculent.

With your new test kit when you test for combined chlorine if you have been using Pristine power (potassium monopersulfate = MPS) that will raise your combined chlorine level even though you haven't any chlorine byproducts in the water.

When you feel comfortable enough with the information and help on TFP you will almost certainly want to try BBB and give up on Pristine blue completely. that will save you using the shock dose each week and a small pile of money.

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

This is why you will probably not find anyone here who regretted not putting metals in their pool (barring any Pristine Blue reps who may be lurking here). We can show you a few thousand here who were sorry that they did add them.
Probably :wink:

I'm ready for BBB already. My only concern is like now, I'm going on vacation for a week, I have done this in the past. Pristine Blue no issues, I just follow the schedule and my pool is great when I return. With using cholrine it will be gone by the time I return? What do you do when you go on vacation for a couple of weeks?

Welcome!
I just switched from pristine blue and have absolutely no regrets. These folks on TFP are the best! Also with the money you will save you could hire a pool keeper for a couple of weeks or (YEARS).LOL Good luck
Jeff,

pjiv said:
I'm ready for BBB already. My only concern is like now, I'm going on vacation for a week, I have done this in the past. Pristine Blue no issues, I just follow the schedule and my pool is great when I return. With using cholrine it will be gone by the time I return? What do you do when you go on vacation for a couple of weeks?

My system is automated for chemical dosing so no issues. You could use a floater and tabs depending on your CYA level which from pristine blue will probably be zero. You could add dose of MPS, a couple of pounds would last 2 weeks (just).

Small peralstatic pumps are not expensive now and a basic timer model like the Seko or Simpool would do the job nicely.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/just...of-simpool-ph-order-t27945.html?hilit=simpool

pjiv said:

I would bring it to shock level and then put a floater with tablets in there. That should cover you.

Ok here are my test results!

FC 1.5
CC .5
TC 1.5
pH 7.2
T/A 100
CH 250
CYA 0
Temp 84

CYA went to the top before I could not see the black dot.

I need to raise my pH I know that. Also I need to raise my CYA so should I just use DiChlor or trichlor instead of bleach? Shouldn't my TC be 2.0? 1st time using the TF-100 kit not to bad have to read everything twice to make sure so it tool longer than it should. Off to the pool calc. Suggestions always welcome!

FYI: Water is Crystal Clear!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I'll have to go to the pool store to get the stabilizer tomorrow. Bleach has been added as well as the pH Rise, only added 16 ounces because that is what the bottle said I'll test now and see since it's been about 3 hours.

What about Algaecide? Do I need this? I don't think so since it's a A and not a B

Todays Readings:

FC 4.5
CC 0.5
TC 5.0
pH 7.8
T/A 110
CH 170
CYA 30
Temp 77 - AM reading, will be in the 80's by noon. Nice!

So I will lower pH and raise CYA some more, did not put full amount in last time so I was expecting this exact reading amazing! My question now, is this is the 1st time in 2 years I've had to LOWER my pH normally I always have to raise it. There has been no rain for the last 2 weeks could this have something to do with it?

Loving BBB so far! Never saw this pH swing with pristine blue though. Might be a fluke or the pool is getting used to not having all the non-needed chems in it. I guess time will tell.

I'm not surprised. As the pool chemistry gets better and better, the amounts of chemicals go down, and eventually it almost flatlines. In physics, it's called dampened oscillation. Graphically, it's like this:
375px-Exponential_loss_blue.svg.png

I had a friend tell me yesterday that she is using this Pristine Blue in her pool and how much money she has saved. I researched it and found out the main ingredient was copper. I told her to use the BBB method. And she just bought a new liner....I would hate to see it all spotted from copper.

I really had no problems with Prestine Blue, I loved it, but it is not that good for little kids. If you have something get in your pool that should not be there it will not kill it till you shock it. I never saw any stains on my liner you have to watch your levels and you should not have any. The BBB method is cheaper after you convert to it. PB was about the same as the pool store cholorine but you only had to worry about your pool every other week. That was nice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.