Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going to BBB from Pristine Blue

1. Back To Top    #1

Going to BBB from Pristine Blue

I have searched this forum and understand WHY not to use Pristine Blue, but actually I have had no trouble with it at all, I always used the cholorine shock each week and my water is crystal clear and no order. That being said... My wife read this and with the kids.....

So I ordered my TF-100 test kit today and when it comes in I'll start by posting my readings, and I'll use the pool calculator to adjust my levels.

Since Pristine Blue can co-exist with chlorine should I continue using it until gone while also using the BBB method? Around here I never have used PH Down, just UP after a rain I add some to keep it in balance. I'm also sick of going to the pool store and getting a reading, doing the suggested thing, and then going back and it's worse. I'll do my own testing thank you.

Anyone converted from Pristine Blue and regreted doing so?

Thanks!
    Niagara Falls, NY
    27' Vogue Revelation Round 54" AG Pool = ~19000 gallons with solar cover
    GLI 28ft Whirlwind Above Ground Solar Reel System with 4" Tube
    BBB using TF-100 test kit
    Hayward EC50C93STL System
    1.5HP Power-Flo Matrix Pump runs from 8AM till Midnight ( Overkill ?)
    EC50AC Perflex D.E. Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going to BBB from Pristine Blue

Welcome to TFP!

The reason Pristine Blue is panned on this forum is that is adds metals to the water; specifically copper. Copper is what turns hair green and stains pool surfaces. Each time you add Pristine Blue to the pool, you are raising the copper level and putting yourself at further risk of developing problems. Because proper chlorination eliminates any possibility of algae development, this would indicate that products containing metals are not at all necessary. We do know for a fact though that they are harmful for the pool. This is why you will probably not find anyone here who regretted not putting metals in their pool (barring any Pristine Blue reps who may be lurking here). We can show you a few thousand here who were sorry that they did add them.

So, knowing what you know now, can you see any reason that you should continue to add Pristine Blue to your pool?

3. Back To Top    #3

Nope, none at all. Thanks! Can't wait to get my TF-100 kit so I can verify I have the great water I think I have. Of course I'll have to add cholorine right away since my level is at 0.
    Niagara Falls, NY

4. Back To Top    #4

Good idea. You will love that test kit by the way. It's the best one out there.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Just to add a little note:
    Pristine blue=copper sulphate algeacide
    Pristine power=potassium monopersulfate
    Pristine clean=orthophosphoric Acid
    Pristine extra=sodium dichlor, oops that's Chlorine and its supposed to be a non chlorine system.
    Pristine clear=alum or pac flocculent.

With your new test kit when you test for combined chlorine if you have been using Pristine power (potassium monopersulfate = MPS) that will raise your combined chlorine level even though you haven't any chlorine byproducts in the water.

When you feel comfortable enough with the information and help on TFP you will almost certainly want to try BBB and give up on Pristine blue completely. that will save you using the shock dose each week and a small pile of money.

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Welcome to TFP!

This is why you will probably not find anyone here who regretted not putting metals in their pool (barring any Pristine Blue reps who may be lurking here). We can show you a few thousand here who were sorry that they did add them.
    Probably

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm ready for BBB already. My only concern is like now, I'm going on vacation for a week, I have done this in the past. Pristine Blue no issues, I just follow the schedule and my pool is great when I return. With using cholrine it will be gone by the time I return? What do you do when you go on vacation for a couple of weeks?
    Niagara Falls, NY

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome!
    I just switched from pristine blue and have absolutely no regrets. These folks on TFP are the best! Also with the money you will save you could hire a pool keeper for a couple of weeks or (YEARS).LOL Good luck
    Jeff,
    Jeff
    Gadsden, Alabama
    15x30x52 Ag 10800 gal.
    Hayward 1hp Power Flow LX Pump
    Hayward Vari Flow XL Valve
    150 lbs. Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by pjiv
    I'm ready for BBB already. My only concern is like now, I'm going on vacation for a week, I have done this in the past. Pristine Blue no issues, I just follow the schedule and my pool is great when I return. With using cholrine it will be gone by the time I return? What do you do when you go on vacation for a couple of weeks?
    My system is automated for chemical dosing so no issues. You could use a floater and tabs depending on your CYA level which from pristine blue will probably be zero. You could add dose of MPS, a couple of pounds would last 2 weeks (just).

Small peralstatic pumps are not expensive now and a basic timer model like the Seko or Simpool would do the job nicely.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/just-...?hilit=simpool

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pjiv
    I would bring it to shock level and then put a floater with tablets in there. That should cover you.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok here are my test results!

FC 1.5
    CC .5
    TC 1.5
    pH 7.2
    T/A 100
    CH 250
    CYA 0
    Temp 84

CYA went to the top before I could not see the black dot.

I need to raise my pH I know that. Also I need to raise my CYA so should I just use DiChlor or trichlor instead of bleach? Shouldn't my TC be 2.0? 1st time using the TF-100 kit not to bad have to read everything twice to make sure so it tool longer than it should. Off to the pool calc. Suggestions always welcome!

FYI: Water is Crystal Clear!
    Niagara Falls, NY

11. Back To Top    #11

ok,

Add:

1 96oz of 6% bleach
    36 ounces of pH Rise (Have 5lbs still left)

but still not sure about CYA, should I buy Stabilizer or skip the bleach and use Dichlor or Trichlor Chlorine?

Am I on the right track here?
    Niagara Falls, NY

12. Back To Top    #12

I recommend adding stabilizer/conditioner and using bleach.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok, I'll have to go to the pool store to get the stabilizer tomorrow. Bleach has been added as well as the pH Rise, only added 16 ounces because that is what the bottle said I'll test now and see since it's been about 3 hours.

What about Algaecide? Do I need this? I don't think so since it's a A and not a B
    Niagara Falls, NY

14. Back To Top    #14

This morning all looks good. I had a FC drop of 2ppm to which I will add bleach to correct, and my PH is 7.5 (I did have to add more pH rise yesterday). Stabilizer has been added and will test in a week. Thanks all.
    Niagara Falls, NY

15. Back To Top    #15

Todays Readings:

FC 4.5
    CC 0.5
    TC 5.0
    pH 7.8
    T/A 110
    CH 170
    CYA 30
    Temp 77 - AM reading, will be in the 80's by noon. Nice!

So I will lower pH and raise CYA some more, did not put full amount in last time so I was expecting this exact reading amazing! My question now, is this is the 1st time in 2 years I've had to LOWER my pH normally I always have to raise it. There has been no rain for the last 2 weeks could this have something to do with it?

Loving BBB so far! Never saw this pH swing with pristine blue though. Might be a fluke or the pool is getting used to not having all the non-needed chems in it. I guess time will tell.
    Niagara Falls, NY

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm not surprised. As the pool chemistry gets better and better, the amounts of chemicals go down, and eventually it almost flatlines. In physics, it's called dampened oscillation. Graphically, it's like this:
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

Todays readings...

FC 2.5
    CC 0.0
    TC 2.5
    pH 7.8
    T/A 120
    CH 170
    CYA 40
    Temp 80

Added 1 jug of bleach and away we go. Did nothing to the pool yeaterday worked a double that is why the Cholorine level was so low.
    Niagara Falls, NY

18. Back To Top    #18

I had a friend tell me yesterday that she is using this Pristine Blue in her pool and how much money she has saved. I researched it and found out the main ingredient was copper. I told her to use the BBB method. And she just bought a new liner....I would hate to see it all spotted from copper.
    30' Round Vinyl AG, 21,200 K GAL. with Main drain, Hayward 1.5 HP Pump, Sand filter, BBB Method & TF~100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

I really had no problems with Prestine Blue, I loved it, but it is not that good for little kids. If you have something get in your pool that should not be there it will not kill it till you shock it. I never saw any stains on my liner you have to watch your levels and you should not have any. The BBB method is cheaper after you convert to it. PB was about the same as the pool store cholorine but you only had to worry about your pool every other week. That was nice.
    Niagara Falls, NY