Best way to introduce Muriatic Acid?

LauleaHere&There

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2010
Rural Moloka'i, Hawai'i
OK, I spent some time in Pool School and with the calculator, so I could safely lower my TA, which was 110 in my salt pool.

The calculator says I should introduce 6.7 oz of MA. Then I saw some comments regarding the "slug" method and how it is a bad idea.

How do you guys do it? Measure the acid, add to a bucket of water and pour into the pool? How far should I dilute?

Or, with a small amount (less than 8 oz., say) is there any harm in adding directly to the pool and stirring to mix?

Just pour it slowly in front of a return with the pump running. Since your pool is fairly small, a good stir with a brush should take care of it.

I do it the way 257 says. Just a note of caution - never add water to acid always add acid to water. So if you decide to dilute it and add it that way, put the water in the bucket first and then add the acid. You do want to be careful about splashes. I wear gloves, eye protection, and a respirator or a mask to avoid breathing the fumes or getting it on me in the event it splashes.

Txmat said:
So if you decide to dilute it and add it that way, put the water in the bucket first and then add the acid. You do want to be careful about splashes. I wear gloves, eye protection, and a respirator or a mask to avoid breathing the fumes or getting it on me in the event it splashes.
If you are going to add acid to water in a bucket, have the water in the bucket spinning when you add the acid and that will greatly reduce the risk of splashback. Pour the acid into the center depression caused by the circulating water.

LauleaHere&There said:
Thanks, everybody. Since I'd rather not mess with mixing, and then climbing the ladder with a heavy bucket to pour, I added the MA in front of the return as instructed. Easy peasy. Yes, I wear safety goggles and gloves. Wicked stuff.

The main hazard with handling it is getting it in your eyes. Goggles are a good idea. Getting it on your skin for a sec doesn't hurt (unless you get it on a cut). Just rinse it off with water. What you don't want to do is spill it on something.

>> I wear safety goggles and gloves. Wicked stuff.

this was my primary reason for installing the Simpool automatic dosing system. about once every 2 weeks I insert a new bottle from home depot and don't have to smell or breathe any fumes as the system handles dosing and keeps pH steady at 7.4-7.6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.