Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to introduce Muriatic Acid?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to introduce Muriatic Acid?

OK, I spent some time in Pool School and with the calculator, so I could safely lower my TA, which was 110 in my salt pool.

The calculator says I should introduce 6.7 oz of MA. Then I saw some comments regarding the "slug" method and how it is a bad idea.

How do you guys do it? Measure the acid, add to a bucket of water and pour into the pool? How far should I dilute?

Or, with a small amount (less than 8 oz., say) is there any harm in adding directly to the pool and stirring to mix?
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to introduce Muriatic Acid?

Just pour it slowly in front of a return with the pump running. Since your pool is fairly small, a good stir with a brush should take care of it.

3. Back To Top    #3

I do it the way 257 says. Just a note of caution - never add water to acid always add acid to water. So if you decide to dilute it and add it that way, put the water in the bucket first and then add the acid. You do want to be careful about splashes. I wear gloves, eye protection, and a respirator or a mask to avoid breathing the fumes or getting it on me in the event it splashes.
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

4. Back To Top    #4

Save a possible hazardous step and pour it straight in front of the return.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Save a possible hazardous step and pour it straight in front of the return.
    Agree. The less you mess with it, the better IMHO.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Txmat
    So if you decide to dilute it and add it that way, put the water in the bucket first and then add the acid. You do want to be careful about splashes. I wear gloves, eye protection, and a respirator or a mask to avoid breathing the fumes or getting it on me in the event it splashes.
    If you are going to add acid to water in a bucket, have the water in the bucket spinning when you add the acid and that will greatly reduce the risk of splashback. Pour the acid into the center depression caused by the circulating water.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, everybody. Since I'd rather not mess with mixing, and then climbing the ladder with a heavy bucket to pour, I added the MA in front of the return as instructed. Easy peasy. Yes, I wear safety goggles and gloves. Wicked stuff.
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by LauleaHere&There
    Thanks, everybody. Since I'd rather not mess with mixing, and then climbing the ladder with a heavy bucket to pour, I added the MA in front of the return as instructed. Easy peasy. Yes, I wear safety goggles and gloves. Wicked stuff.
    The main hazard with handling it is getting it in your eyes. Goggles are a good idea. Getting it on your skin for a sec doesn't hurt (unless you get it on a cut). Just rinse it off with water. What you don't want to do is spill it on something.

9. Back To Top    #9

>> I wear safety goggles and gloves. Wicked stuff.

this was my primary reason for installing the Simpool automatic dosing system. about once every 2 weeks I insert a new bottle from home depot and don't have to smell or breathe any fumes as the system handles dosing and keeps pH steady at 7.4-7.6

10. Back To Top    #10

susa, that is very extreme to the point of being silly for a 3,500 gal above ground pool. For a small above ground pool just use dry acid if you don't feel comfortable with muriatic acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

OK. Can't resist...

"Pool, this is Muriatic Acid. Muriatic Acid, this is the pool".

ICMU.

2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by dorpo75
    OK. Can't resist...

"Pool, this is Muriatic Acid. Muriatic Acid, this is the pool".

ICMU.

Jokes like this eat at me.
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I wear a mask too... one of those masks for TB, and it really helps a lot in not smelling those fumes and getting that full body repulsive reaction to smelling muriatic acid.
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    ... just use dry acid if you don't feel comfortable with muriatic acid.
    I use MA to clean my Chlor-Ease, too. Hence the gloves, goggles (and apron).