Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie SWG and copper plumbing question

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie SWG and copper plumbing question

I've been looking into going with a SWG system for a year or so now. I've been told you can't use SWG if you have any copper plumbing. Is this statement true?

Thanks in Advance!
    16k Gal fiberglass over plaster
    Hayward CX900RE
    Leslie's HydramaxII 1.0Hp pump
    Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie SWG and copper plumbing question

Welcome to TFP!

No not really true. You can't use copper pipe with ocean water, but at the salt levels used with modern SWGs (around 3,000 ppm) there isn't a problem. The largest danger with copper pipe is making sure the PH never goes below 7.0.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I've never tested the pool water for Cu ions but isn't there a "possibility" of Cu depositing on one of the SWG cells electrodes? BTW I've only heard that from the Leslie's Pool folks. Can I ask this question differently? Has anyone with SWG and Cu plumbing run into cell issues?

Again thanks in advance!
    Hayward CX900RE
    Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

There is a lot of copper in most pool heaters, so many many pools with a SWG have at least a little copper plumbing and there have never been problems. There are also many other ways for copper to get into the water, for example copper compounds are often used as algaecides, and those products have been used in a large number of pools with SWG, and again no problems involving the SWG and copper have been reported.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

i have an above ground pool with a swg from intex, it also comes with a copper cell to produce copper ions, supposedly as an algecide, and the manual states to keep this at .1 to .2 ppm

6. Back To Top    #6

xaviergzz, we recommend disconnecting the copper electrode when using the Intex SWG.

Still, it is a valid point, copper in the water is extremely common with SWGs, and there are never problems.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone for the input!
    Hayward CX900RE
    Polaris 280