Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is the niche and conduit designed to be wet?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is the niche and conduit designed to be wet?

Sorry if I'm hijacking this post but think this is a related question.
    Please ask questions in your own topic. JasonLion

Is the niche and conduit designed to be wet? In other words, in a proper install will there be water in the niche and part of the conduit (up to the water line)?
    24000 gal vinyl IG; CPSC36 SWG, TA-60 Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about light wiring

Quote Originally Posted by masand
    Sorry if I'm hijacking this post but think this is a related question.

Is the niche and conduit designed to be wet? In other words, in a proper install will there be water in the niche and part of the conduit (up to the water line)?

My niche and conduit were wet and as far as I understand that is normal. Where the wires terminated is a good 2 feet above water level.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is the niche and conduit designed to be wet?

Yes, the niche and conduit are normally wet.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

In 23 years of doing pools, I've only seen "wet niches" which are supposed to have water in tehm - it helps keep the heat from the light from getting too high and tripping the breaker (however, if they make a wet niche, I assume there is such a thing as a dry niche :P )
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Welcome to TFP!!

In 23 years of doing pools, I've only seen "wet niches" which are supposed to have water in tehm - it helps keep the heat from the light from getting too high and tripping the breaker (however, if they make a wet niche, I assume there is such a thing as a dry niche :P )
    There are dry niche lights. The only time I have seen functional ones are in really old municipal pools.
    ]
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought the goal was to keep the conduit dry. In my niche it has a rubber bushing and nut that compresses to seal it. They also sell butyl to seal the conduit. With that said the only reason I would a need to seal it is if the conduit pipe (below water line) has a leak which could allow water to leak out of the pool. When I replaced my light a few weeks ago I sealed the conduit with butyl tape just for good measure. I see no downside of doing this.

Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

If the light is designed to be serviced from the water side you want the conduit to be wet. You only use a dry conduit when there is access to the niche from the dry side.

Sealing the back of the niche is sometimes done, but causes problems later on. When the fixture eventually needs to be replaced the cable needs to be pulled out, which sealing the back of the niche usually makes impossible.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School