TAC 1
    Salt 3200
    Ch 250
    CYA 50
    TA 120
    pH 8.0
    Acid Demand 3
    Pho 500

These are my results from yesterday, I added 28 ounces of acid, tested this morning and I am still at 8 and need another 28 ounces according to my charts. Why do I keep having high pH?

Thanks
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa
    Houston, Texas -- It's a 105 in the shade.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pH is always high

TA at 120 is too high if you have a SWG. High TA combined with aeration tends to make the PH go up. Another thing that can raise PH is fresh plaster. Plaster that is less than a year old will constantly raise the PH.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What size is your pool? Are you using dry acid or muriatic acid. What %?
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

4. Back To Top    #4

17000 and I use muratic acid.

Ok so lower TA
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa

5. Back To Top    #5

With 17K gallons, TA of 120, I get that 28 oz of 31% MA would lower your pH by .5. (From 8.0 - 7.5). So, you did not add enough MA to get down to 7.0 - 7.2 which you do when you are trying to lower TA. Are you sure your pH wasn't higher than 8.0? (Not sure what test kit you are using.) I have found that I need more than the pool calculator calls for to actually get down to 7.0 - 7.2 range. If that is the case with your pool, or if your pH was actually higher than 8.0, or if you were using a lower % of MA, this could all be reasons on why your pH read as 8.0 the next morning. Based on your other threads, your plaster is from late May, so your pH will be rising faster. Lowering the TA by repeatedly lowering the pH to 7.0 - 7.2 will help.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey Merl, Isn't your pool new??? if so you will continue to have a high pH while the plaster cures. It is a continual process and will be a common recurrence. The high TA will also make your PH unstable. Edit your signature in your user control panel so we can see the size pool and what type of equipment and where you are located. It will make answering your questions easier. Then you might want to go to this link, pool-school/, it has some great reading soak it all in take your time. It also appears that your Fc is low for your CYA you should never be below 3ppm with a 50 CYA, you are inviting an algae bloom and if you have a SWG your CYA is too low, which will cause your SWG to work harder this necessary. Your CYA should be higher see this link pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock for your correct values on CYA, FC, and Shock levels...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry typo it is 15000 33 x average width of 15 ft wide and from 3 to 5.5 feet deep. I will update my sig

8. Back To Top    #8

My dog just jumped in my pool, great!

9. Back To Top    #9

My CH jumped 185 in 3 days?

I tested my water the 30th
    FAC .5
    TAC .5
    Salt 3100
    CH 190
    CYA 40
    TA 90
    pH 8.0
    Pho 300

I added muratic acid, and phosphate pro from leslies and turned the salt water chlorinator to boost for 24 hours. I went out of town for 2 days.
    Today
    FAC 1
    TAC 1
    Salt 3100
    CH 375
    CYA 30
    TA130
    pH 8.0

I have put 32 oz of muratic acid in -- how can the numbers change so much? Is it the heat?

Also, of course my Hydrazzo is now rough again in the spa ( the PB has polished it 2 times since the original fill. The last time was the 28th. He told me then it should be cured so I could stop brushing twice a day!)

Many thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: My CH jumped 185 in 3 days?

I'd suspect testing error first. That's a long time to swirl.....
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

You'll also want to lower PH...asap as you are at risk for scaling.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

How old is your pool?

Your FC & CYA are too low. I suggest a Overnight Free Chlorine Loss Test - directions in Pool School.

What are CH and TA in your fill water?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

My pool is a month old, however this water is 2 weeks old because I had to drain it 2 weeks ago because the Hydrazzo went from smooth to very rough. I will test the fill water, have not done that yet.

14. Back To Top    #14

my test kit has a test for CH that you can count X 25 so I didnt have to swirl for long.

15. Back To Top    #15

Topics merged. Please keep everything about your chemistry and Hydrazzo together in one place. It is impossible for people to help you in any useful way without being able to see the context of what has gone before.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

This mornings results, scale is building up in spa. It tool 3 days to go from smooth to rough.

30th
    FAC .5
    TAC .5
    Salt 3100
    CH 190
    CYA 40
    TA 90
    pH 8.0
    Pho 300

July 5

FAC 3-6
    TAC 3-6
    I had the boost on for 24 hours, it is now off
    Salt 3100
    CH 230
    CYA 30
    TA 140
    pH 7.6 with a +1 to drop to 7.2

17. Back To Top    #17

My CH for fill water looks to be about 150

18. Back To Top    #18

Merl, my situation is similar to yours, living here in Houston. My fill water also is 150 CH and with the drought and constant refilling my CH was at 675 before I drained about 40% of the water last week. It got that high over about a four month period.

My pool is only 7 months old so the pH is still rising every day. I would let it go the 8.0 to 8.2 range before dropping it back to the 7.2 to 7.5 range. I was adding MA every 3 to 4 days. I eventually developed some scale, but it's not horrible. The lesson for me is to never let pH get above 7.5--even for a short time, when the CH gets high. And when the CH gets high you may want to consider a partial drain/refill.

Another thing, the pool stores' tests always showed my water at or below 400 so I didn't think it was a problem for pH to get above 7.8 for a day before adding MA. Don't trust the pool store's test.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Houtex thanks man, I guess I might drain some and add back in, what did you do with the scale?

20. Back To Top    #20

On my French Grey Luna Quartz it shows up as slighly lighter spots on the floor and sides of the pool, mostly in the shallow end and steps. You can't feel any difference when you run your hand over them. When I partially drained the pool and applied diluted MA to the spots they fizzed and then went away--confirming to me that the spots were scale. My plaster contractor inspected the pool told me he would perform a no-drain acid wash and then a complete drain and power wash for $500.

But it's only noticeable in low light conditions so I'm not worried about it so long as it does not get worse. It almost looks like irregularties in the plaster, which are common with these surfaces. For now, I've decided just to make sure it does not get worse so I'm adding acid every day to every other day to keep the pH around 7.5. I just topped up the borates to 50 ppm so I'm hoping it will slow down the increase in pH. As the CH increases over time (it will) I will keep the pH even lower than 7.5.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast