Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This method is too hard!

1. Back To Top    #1

This method is too hard!

I just wanted to tell you the results of me using the BBB method. I just found this site a month ago and decided to use it this year. This is my first year taking care of our pool, hubby has done it past 5 years and it has always been stressful.

I got a new sand filter and installed it myself(hubby proud) and started using BBB when we took our cover off and had a green swamp! Today, it is raining and I am looking out at my CRYSTAL CLEAR water and can see the DIRT on the bottom thru the rain!!!!!!

What maddness is this, all I want to do is get that little piece of dirt out!!! Our water has never been this clear and everyone who sees our pool has said the same thing, asking if it is the filter and my hubby has said no---it's bleach and my wife!!!!!

Thank you for driving me nuts over tiny pieces of dirt in the deep end instead of hubby sending me and the kids into hiding when he was dealing with the pool! This summer is already the best one ever, my hubby and I sat out last night after our girls finished swimming and enjoyed an adult beverage looking at our beautiful clear pool!!

I am so thankful that I found this forum and all the information, you all have helped me stay on this road and we are starting to reap the rewards!!! Thank you one and all!!!! I will post some pics soon!
    Andrea B.
    18 X 36 inground vinyl
    35,000 gallons
    Hayward S244t sand filter
    3/4 hp pump
    1 skimmer, 2 return jets(shallow and deep)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This method is too hard!

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome! It's great to be able to reap the rewards of a little effort... actually less than running to the pool store all the time, but we don't have to tell our friends do we ???

I maintain our pool too and Hubby enjoys the clear water, he was skeptical at first. We got our first compliment from a fellow long time pool owner this weekend and it felt great.

Enjoy your oasis!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Time to create some pool drama. My suggestion for the week... invite a non-potty trained toddler over to swim (or dog poop, you choose). Post your results ladies!
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

5. Back To Top    #5

Shhhhhhh!

It takes hours. I don't have time to do all that other stuff, I have to take care of the pool!

TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

"Dr., I have a patient in the waiting room, complaining of symptoms indicating a severe sparklypoolitis infection"...."Would you like to see her or should I just send her home with a TF100 and a speedstir and have her follow-up in the morning "
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok... so you got us. We are sparklypoolitis suffers... and not ashamed of it!

Give me a and a speedstir (man I want one of these) & I'll go pretend to work diligently on the pool.

Go ahead and give us a challenge...
    I've had a couple of infants in the pool already this season luckily w/no problems. Thanks to tfp, we know what to do if something does!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

8. Back To Top    #8

JohnT...
    Like your idea... Might have to use that one!

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    "Dr., I have a patient in the waiting room, complaining of symptoms indicating a severe sparklypoolitis infection"...."Would you like to see her or should I just send her home with a TF100 and a speedstir and have her follow-up in the morning "
    Let's have her dose 30oz. of 6% and call it a night!! We'll put her on long-term liquidator in the morning. Be sure to have her contact her mail order pharmacy for the chronic long-term dosing.
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

You could always take your TF100 over to a friend's pool for entertainment.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    You could always take your TF100 over to a friend's pool for entertainment.
    Love this idea!
    Niagara Falls, NY
    27' Vogue Revelation Round 54" AG Pool = ~19000 gallons with solar cover
    GLI 28ft Whirlwind Above Ground Solar Reel System with 4" Tube
    BBB using TF-100 test kit
    Hayward EC50C93STL System
    1.5HP Power-Flo Matrix Pump runs from 8AM till Midnight ( Overkill ?)
    EC50AC Perflex D.E. Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

AndreaB, the desire to get rid of little pieces of dirt in an otherwise sparkly clear pool is a disease I share with you. All my friends think I'm crazy because they keep telling me the pool looks great. But there's that little piece of dirt or leaf right there on the bottom that bugs me once in a while!

We should start a support group...
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by beezar
    We should start a support group...
    that's why we hang out here at TFP, it IS a support group for people afflicted with SparklyPoolitis.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

14. Back To Top    #14

I love this place and the people on it!!!!!! You all are so sparkly!!!!
    Andrea B.
    18 X 36 inground vinyl
    35,000 gallons
    Hayward S244t sand filter
    3/4 hp pump
    1 skimmer, 2 return jets(shallow and deep)

15. Back To Top    #15

Just a warning....

I've wasted a lot of time trying to vacuum up the shadow of a small leaf on the surface of the pool. It doesn't work.

You will never, ever, get the pool absolutely spotless. I've thought I had everything. Even left the vacuum in the pool for a while after I was done, in case anything settled out. I was certain I got every speck. Carrying the hose back to the shed, I see a flower petal down on the bottom!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Perhaps the pool store has something to sell us that will cloudy up our water and make those leafs at the bottom disappear.

Last time I was in the pool store (buying overpriced plastic pole clips which still didn't cost enough for them to allow me to use a credit card) I had to bite my tongue as the lady in front of me spent over $300 on chemicals and $400 on an automatic pool vac. She said she was vacuuming every day. My guess is that she was probably barely just keeping up with the algae, or not setting the multiport to waste when vacuuming.

Since I followed TFP instructions on clearing up the algae and started making good use of the solar cover, I haven't had much to vacuum. Actually I just dove down and grabbed the few leaves and didn't bother with the vacuum.

Thank you TFP! I can't imagine how much money I would have spent if it wasn't for this site.
    16x32 IG 25,000 gal Vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Just a warning....

I've wasted a lot of time trying to vacuum up the shadow of a small leaf on the surface of the pool. It doesn't work.

You will never, ever, get the pool absolutely spotless. I've thought I had everything. Even left the vacuum in the pool for a while after I was done, in case anything settled out. I was certain I got every speck. Carrying the hose back to the shed, I see a flower petal down on the bottom!
    I've become obsessed with removing all debris from my pool... did you get the flower peddle out?! I probably would have dove for it
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    Time to create some pool drama. My suggestion for the week... invite a non-potty trained toddler over to swim (or dog poop, you choose). Post your results ladies!
    OK how's this for pool drama? On the chicken forum I am also addicted to, someone posted pics of their three chickens happily swimming in their pool WITH the kids! First thing I thought: Her water is pretty but hello - chicken poop? I am ocd enough with SAND! I actually asked the lady if there had been any poop incidents (if you aren't a chicken rancher - they do nothing but eat and poop - often at the same time) and she said only one, and that was when one of the birds was perched on a pool noodle so they keep noodles and pool toys out when the birds are in.

I also suggested this site to anyone on the chicken forum who cared to hear about sparkly water!

Sorry if I have typos here, I'm on my phone and Autocomplete is not my friend.
    Central VA
    My 'disposable' pool -- 7600 gal 18' round AG Intex Ultra Frame, Intex sand filter
    Took it down the first year, but it has been up year round for three years now
    Was really hoping last winter would have done it in so I could justify an upgrade!

19. Back To Top    #19

Just last night my wife commented that she could see every miniscule piece of dirt and couldn't help herself from whipping it out (The vacuum) and going after them until it was 100% clean! (which it will never be thanks to all the trees we have around (but luckily enjoy full sun from 9am to 5pm)

She too has a chronic case of SparklyPoolitis!! (unlike my neighbor who just can't bring herself to change from her pool store frogger, no matter how much better my pool looks)
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator