SWG system recommendation for larger (42,000) pools

Jun 27, 2011
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey folks, great sight. I'm a newb to pools with a question. I've now got a 42k gallon vinyl pool that currently uses chlorine. Considering salt, but given the size of the pool I'm told that I have fewer options. I've had recommendations for Pentair Intellichlor ic-60, SGS sg4000 and Digital Autopilot. My best friend uses Jandy equipment, but his pool is much smaller than mine and don't know if they make equipment for a pool my size. I would be willing to spend extra bucks for durability, not just for added features.

Forgive the repetition and if this has been addressed previously, could you pleae provide me with a link. Or, if you have a particular comment or recommendation on this equipment, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks, SR

Welcome to TFP!

You should add the CompuPool CPSC48 to your list. It is probably the least expensive unit available for that size pool. They are a fairly new brand so we don't have long term reliability info yet, but other than that they review very well.

The IC-60 is a wonderful unit if you have a Pentair branded automation system, but without the automation system it has a very limited user interface and only allows you to choose the percentage setting in steps of 20%, which is really not very good.

My personal favorite is the AutoPilot Digital, but it is probably the most expensive one on your list and may not be worth the extra money to you.

I haven't heard much about the SGS sg4000.

Keep in mind that all SWGs occasionally have some problems. There isn't any brand that is truly trouble free.

JasonLion said:
Welcome to TFP!

The IC-60 is a wonderful unit if you have a Pentair branded automation system, but without the automation system it has a very limited user interface and only allows you to choose the percentage setting in steps of 20%, which is really not very good.
I'm not sure what you mean by Pentair branded automation system. There isn't much about this pool that's automated except the timer I just installed. The only thing that I know that came with the IC-60 is the power box. Is there something else I should be looking for or do you mean that other systems give you specific instructions or more explanation in the readouts?

A Pentair SunTouch, EasyTouch, or IntelliTouch system is not part of the SWG, but it connects to the IC60 and provides additional control over the SWG that you do not get when using an IC60 standalone. Standalone you can set the percentage setting to 20, 40, 60, 80, or 100%. With an automation system you can set any integer percentage. Likewise standalone the IC60 displays the current salt level as one of four broad ranges. But when connected to an automation system you can read the salt level out as a number.

Most of the other brands of SWG give you that level of control and information directly from the SWG without needing to connect it to anything else. That is a significant disadvantage for the IC60 compared to the other units since you don't already have a Pentair automation system.

>>.. when connected to an automation system you can read the salt level out as a number.

of course the Pentair IntelliWand does this with a USB interface in about 10 seconds or less :) and provides much more granular level details such as hours in operation and at what powerlevels, complete history of the unit

If i went with the Pentair, is 60k large enough for a 48k pool? And if I wanted to add a seperate control panel (intellitouch, suntouch, etc.), what is the model #. Which is wireless? And which is most basic? thx, SR

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.