Determine Size From Specs?

Jun 26, 2011
Lakewood, NJ
Hi, I am a new homeowner, this is my first pool season. It is very overwhelming!! I'm glad I found this forum and I hope it will clarify everything. Since I discovered this site last night I've learned a tremendous amount of info. We opened our pool 5 days ago, (we called a pool service) it didn't look too bad. Now, however, it is a swampy green. So I'll be starting on the shocking cycle. However, I do not know the pool gallon size. I've attached the specs the previous homeowner left us when the vinyl was replaced.
Also, do I measure the pH balance now too?
Thanks for your help

Attachments

• pool specs.jpg
    pool specs.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 222
I just ordered the tf-100 test kit. I can't wait, I am totally lost. In fact, my husband was taking care of the backwashing and he's away for two days so I've been taking over. I was so totally clueless that I put in salt (for ice removal) instead of the DE powder. I hope I didn't kill the system.
So you can see I really know nothing.
Question: Is CYA taken into consideration in the shocking phase? It wasn't part of the shocking cycle mentioned in the pool school forum. I do know that the pool service used 3 tablets. Is it pointless to chlorine shock for the next two days until the test kits arrive and I know my CYA level or any levels for that matter.
The previous homeowners left a few strips and I tested this morning. 0 for chlorine, 6.8 or 7.2 pH (not familiar with the color shading yet) and alk 40.
chlorine 0 is disturbing since as I said we have pellets in the system.

Thanks so much,

You said the pool was green, so here's what I'd do while waiting on the test kit to arrive. Go buy as much bleach as you can. and then go buy some more. If the kit will be there in a couple of days just wait on it before you do anything else. If it's going to be longer, take a sample to the pool store and have them test the water. It's not good but it's better than nothing. Don't buy anything that they recommend. Once you have test results, post them here and we'll go from there.

can you specify how much bleach to buy? I'm sending someone else to wal mart to buy it for me (I'm home with 3 kids) and I don't want to burden him with too much. I'll be able to go on Wednesday. According to the pool calculator I need 7 gallons of 6% bleach. How many times a day do I need to apply this?

Thanks so much for your speedy replies.

I would start with 20 large jugs. Yeah that sounds like a lot, but remember when shocking a green pool, if the people aren't looking at you funny when you leave the store, you didn't buy enough.

There's no telling how often or how much you need to add. Only testing will tell you that, and that's what the kit is for. You'll have to know your CYA before you can know what your shock level is.

I've decided to start bleaching already, I'm expecting company on Sunday and would love to have the pool ready. Is there any hope? At 5:30 I put in 4 (1.35 gallons clorox) Is there a concept of overchlorinating. I would like to put some more in tonight too. I will try to attach some pics.

It is impossible to recommend an amount of bleach not know what your CYA (stabilizer level) is. Based on the CYA level, you can get the FC shock level required to kill all the algae. Knowing your pool size and current FC level and the required shock FC level, you can calculate the amount of bleach (FC) to add.

Adding some bleach now can help, but not knowing the target level means you may undershoot and not kill much or overshoot and potentially bleach your liner.

When you start the shock process, you just measure your current FC level (every hour or so to start with) and use the poolcalculator.com to determine how much bleach to add to reach recommended shock level. The idea is to hold the FC at the shock level to kill everything off quickly. The better you hold it at shock level ... the faster the pool will clear.

ETA: strip tests seem to be worthless from what I read on the forums ... a test of the water at a pool store could give a clue as to the levels while you wait (but if your CYA is a little high ... your required FC could easily be >10 and the pool store may only test up to 5 or 10).

ETA2: your 4 bottles of bleach will raise your FC by about 15ppm in a 22,000 gallon pool

is it crucial to know the cya level? is it present in a pool without having to add it? we most certainly did not add it on its own, unless it was in the packet that the pool service used to shock the pool.
if i go to a pool service, how much does it cost for them to test (approx)? should i buy a cya stabilizer from them? this forum seems to recommend staying far away from them

Thanks,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You said the pool company used tablets ... the tablets have CYA in them. Also if they used "packets" that could have either added more CYA or calcium depending on what they actually used.

Pool stores generally will test the water for free. Just don't fall for their sales pitch. You can buy products at these stores, but it may not be the cheapest place and ONLY buy stabilizer/conditioner and liquid chlorine and maybe muriatic acid. Just say no to algaecides and phosphate fighters etc. Generally the liquid chlorine is just a higher concentration (10% or 12%) than bleach (6%) and many employees do not understand this.

If you want a good laugh, mention you were thinking of using bleach and see what they say.

Edit to emphasize: knowing the CYA level may be the most important number to know since it defines the required FC level. Getting a number from the pool store may allow you to start shocking while waiting for your kit since at least you know about where you stand ... although nothing is better than testing for yourself.

So, I just got back from the pool store. Here are the test results
TC 0
FC 0
pH 6.4
TA 40
CH 100
CYA 0
Copper .3
Shock Ttmt 0

Interesting, since I had a pool service open our pool and shock it.

I was also told I must first treat the metal.

I didn't buy anything, please tell what to do first, what to buy and quantity?
Also is it ok to use the shock chlorine packets instead of lugging jugs of bleach.

Thanks

the pool service recommended that we do that in the beginning. it's usually up to 12 from 8 or 10. It's always dirty. I then place 2 cups of DE in the skimmer. should i not be doing that.

so i need to go buy borax or soda ash and lots of baking soda.

now, should i use pool water to dissolve, apparently the water where I live has copper in it.

shock bags, all i remember is that it had 68% calcium hypochloride.

how long after i add baking soda and borax should I test. Is there anything else i should be doing today/tonight?

thanks so much for helping me

WOW!! I'm thrilled. I ended up putting in about 16 lb baking soda last night. This mornings reading for TA was fine. Check out this pic. We can see the bottom of the pool in the deep end too.
My test kit has not yet arrived. What's the next step? I'm not clear about the pH levels, the color is borderline 6.8, 7.2.
Thanks so much.

should i send the dolphin in the deep end to clean up

Attachments

• pool day 3.JPG
    pool day 3.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 85
Exactly what number is fine? :)

If you have a box of 20 mule team around you should raise your pH up to about 7.5. Then it's time to start shocking.
What does the tracking say about when your kit will be there?
What's your FC today?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.