is irrigation water safe?

May 30, 2011
Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out a way to add some sort of auto fill option to my already completed pool. Our lovely builer obviously did not know that an autofill is a must when you have an infinity edge. The catch basin is about 18" deep (staying above wall suction lines) and is 17' long and 2' wide which by my calculations even with that all the way full, it will only raise my pool level 3/4" with my 650 surface sq footage and we lose about that from evaporation on a hot day.

The easiest solution I can come up with is tapping into our sprinkler line that runs in our planters that are attached to the pool. That way im running a line 10" above the decking that can mostly be covered up by flowers. My question is, is it safe to you irrigation water as fill water daily? I have always been using my regular culinary water which is the same that comes from the kitchen tap. If its safe than I can just work it out with my sprinkler time to keep the water level close.

If anyone has any other options of some how connecting into the equipment and adding water that way I am all ears. My infinity catch basin is almost always shaded so I want to run that on my daily program to keep an growth from happening

Thanks

The water in my sprinkler system is the same water that comes out of my tap; city water. In fact, the fill valve is part of the irrigation system as a zone. Unless your sprinkler water is fron an untreated source, there is probably no risk in using it as fill water.

As stated above, if it's connected to the same water supply as the house, which almost all are, the water is fine. When the sprinklers are on, do you hear water running in the house, like someone's in the shower? Then you're using tap water. Another way to be sure is to go pull the lid off your water meter, turn on the sprinklers, and see if the meter is moving.

Connecting after the sprinkler control is dicey, if you ask me. Just guessing, but it's probably against the building code. Plus, batteries die, power goes out and timers revert to midnight, and those sprinkler control solenoids can fail. I'd look for where the sprinkler controls are and see if there is a way to tee in before the solenoids.

You may just have to break out the pick and shovel. On the bright side, you'll have a nice pool to cool off in after you're done trenching.

Backflow preventer for sure! I would try to zone the pool on its own if I could. I zoned my on its own so I could add water whenever I needed it (I.E. after backwashing, splashout) and you don't have to water plants to get water in the pool.

It is different water that what comes out of the hose and house. It is a pressurized irrigation lime owned by a private company that we have a share of. We just pay a flat fee for the 6 months a year it is active. Our neighbors say they have used it to fill true pool several times but I don't want to do something that is going to be a chemical nightmare or damage the filter

Utahjanitor said:
It is different water that what comes out of the hose and house. It is a pressurized irrigation lime owned by a private company that we have a share of. We just pay a flat fee for the 6 months a year it is active. Our neighbors say they have used it to fill true pool several times but I don't want to do something that is going to be a chemical nightmare or damage the filter
If this is the case and I understand correctly it would only be of use to fill your pool for 6months of the year???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Utahjanitor said:
If it's for irrigation, I doubt it's chlorinated, so there may be algae in it. Get a sample in a big white bucket. See if it looks clear. Take a whiff. Test it. Let it sit next to the pool for a day or two and see if it turns bright green.

Then decide if you want it in your pool.

maxepr1 said:
Backflow preventer for sure! I would try to zone the pool on its own if I could. I zoned my on its own so I could add water whenever I needed it (I.E. after backwashing, splashout) and you don't have to water plants to get water in the pool.

Definitely. Mine is on a separate zone and channel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.