Hi new here considering pool install

B.S.

Jun 21, 2011
Hi All,

I've been lurking around reading a good bit at TFP in an attempt to learn about pools so I can be a knowledgable consumer. My wife and I are looking into building an IGP gunite pool presently and I've learned a lot so far. Met with one builder last week and discussed what we might like to do and to try to get some $$ ballpark estimates.

We don't have a lot of back yard space in which to put the pool and estimate we have room for about a 14 foot X 27 foot (inside dimension) pool with an added 50ish square feet of play area. We want a geometric pool tucked in close to our large covered porch. Hopefully we can keep the pool looking kind of minimal and "zen" in its appearance.

The builder so far has said the pool would be:

3.5 feet deep to 7 feet deep
12" gunite with 3/8 or 1/2 rebar on 8" centers (depending on soil cond.)
18" bond beam with 1/2" rebar
2 skimmers on independent suction lines.
2 drains
6 returns
1 auto cleaning robot
SWG
Canister Filter
1 multi color LED light
2 bubblers in play area (unlighted bubblers but I requested upgrade to lighted)
thermo switch
poured cantilever edge
All equipment is Pentair
1HP pump (he quoted single speed but I want 2 spd or variable)
water bubbler pump (can't remember details on it)
2" sch 40 PVC all around
approx 150 sq ft decking around pool (but I will be adding another 700 sq ft too)
Quartz or marbletite pebble finish in a dark color
all electrical and other costs included.
They do clean up and are responsible for damages to my/others property

He gave me an initial ball park but nothing firm yet.

But I'm still thinking about other options too. Since this size pool won't be great for swimming laps I'm considering asking for a swim jet system to be included, adds about $3K in costs but probably worth it long term.

Any thoughts or opinions or input is appreciated!

Thanks for the great site!

B.S.

Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Where do you live (general area)? As an example, you may want a gas heater or a solar heater...or a 'cooler'. Another thought is some sort of cover (solar on a reel or perhaps an automatic, hard, retractable type would be better). Have you talked with other folks in your area about their pool and what they would do differently? I would definitely recommend getting a few different quotes and ideas from builders.

Good luck! Don't forget to post pictures of the process once you 'take the plunge'. :goodjob:

Hi,

Thanks for the welcomes!

I'm in Texas (yes, imagine that another pool in TX) LOL. Well I've not bit the bullet yet, still debating the matter. But I do know that I don't want a heater (maybe do a plumbing job to be prepared for solar/heaters down the road though).

Don't see a cover in our future either because the pool would run year round and my wife feels it would be as much decorative as functional and she won't want to look at a covered pool.

Plannin' on three bids too. But one at a time.

Thanks!!!