Ugh. Poop in the Pool

Nightmare

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 21, 2011
Riverside, CA
Neighbor kid pooped in the pool.

It was barely solid enough to get some of it out with the basket.

I'm getting ready to shock the pool. My CYA is about 40. How am I supposed to measure a FC of 16? The test kit only goes to 5.

Do I just use the Pool Calculator and let it do the math?

Because, The Pool Calculator wants 6 gallons of liquid chlorine.

Is there a better product to use for the shock? I have tablets, but those won't really shock anything.

Shocking is correct. Liquid chlorine is just fine, preferred actually.

You can do the chlorine test with dilution. Mix one part of pool water with three equal parts of chlorine free water (typically distilled water), do the test on that, and multiply the result by four. It will be much less precise than usual, but close enough for measuring shock level.

In the long run, you should think about upgrading your test kit.

Ah, there are two chlorine tests in a TF100. The OTO chlorine test (drops turn the sample yellow which is compared to a color chart) and the FAS-DPD (or weekly) chlorine test (powder turns the sample pink and drops eventually turn it clear again). It sounds like you haven't noticed the FAS-DPD chlorine test yet. I believe it is called the weekly chlorine test in the instructions.

Nightmare - right there with you dude. Spent all day testing, measuring and pouring. Took me close to
4 gals to get a stable FC. Hopefully it holds tonight and I pass thr overnight loss test.

Good luck!

OK, whatever was in there should be dead dead by now.

I knew I should have tested before that last bottle of chlorine.

FC - 23-24
CC - 0
pH - 8-8.2
TA - 110-120

I did a TA test for the first time. Drop #11 made the water clear, drop #12 made it red/pink. Is that a TA of 110 or 120?

If the FC holds overnight, how long will it take the level to drop below 16? It's going to be sunny and about 90 for the next 3 days, then mid 90s for the next 3 days.

Pink is the endpoint on the TA test so 120 is your TA.

How long the water takes for the FC to drop is not something we can predict because it depends on local factors such as amount of sun on the pool, the environment, the CYA level, and other things.

I figured out the problem. The Pool Calculator was set to 6% as the default. I put in 12.5% Oops

Do you think the calculator is accurate enough to calculate the actual gallons based on the amount I put into the pool? I know the starting point and the ending point, and I know how many gallons I used.

I had the calculator set to 26,000 gal. If the math works the actual pool is closer to 29,000

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The calculator works out to my volume correctly or CL. pH is a bit off probably due to the error with color matching so I've learned to go no more than 75% of the calculator's recommendations for acid.

Nightmare said:
I'm getting ready to shock the pool. My CYA is about 40. How am I supposed to measure a FC of 16? The test kit only goes to 5.

Do I just use the Pool Calculator and let it do the math?

Yes, use the pool calc. If your test strip gives you an accurate reading at ~1-5 use the pool calc to go from there. Thats what I did, and I successfully shocked my pool to clarity while I wait for my test kit. Shock at night and your chlorine will be more effective. Using a majority of your chlorine in the morning will be wasted on the sun.

OK, guess it isn't dead yet

FC last night at 9:30 pm was 49 drops (24.5)

Does difused sun light burn off the chlorine, or only direct sunlight?

I got up a little late this morning. The the sun was up, but not on the pool yet. I took the sample and left it in the bathroom for about 2 hours. The curtain was closed, but the sun lights up the bathroom in the morning.

I just tested the sample and it was 38 drops (19)

OK, everything looks ok now.

I overdosed on the chlorine again.

The Pool shop showed a FC of 7. I did 1/2 water + 1/2 pool water and I came up with about the same.

I put 3 more gallons of chlorine in last night. The FC went up to 29ppm

I tested again this morning and it was actually 30ppm :?

CC is something less than .5 (the water was just the slightest shade of pink after the 5 drops).

Now I just hope it can burn down to a good level by the weekend.

One other item of note. The computer put my CYA at 62, so I guess it is a good thing I hit higher numbers on the chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.