Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh. Poop in the Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Ugh. Poop in the Pool

Neighbor kid pooped in the pool.

It was barely solid enough to get some of it out with the basket.

I'm getting ready to shock the pool. My CYA is about 40. How am I supposed to measure a FC of 16? The test kit only goes to 5.

Do I just use the Pool Calculator and let it do the math?

Because, The Pool Calculator wants 6 gallons of liquid chlorine.

Is there a better product to use for the shock? I have tablets, but those won't really shock anything.
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ugh. Poop in the Pool

Shocking is correct. Liquid chlorine is just fine, preferred actually.

You can do the chlorine test with dilution. Mix one part of pool water with three equal parts of chlorine free water (typically distilled water), do the test on that, and multiply the result by four. It will be much less precise than usual, but close enough for measuring shock level.

In the long run, you should think about upgrading your test kit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the TF100. Am I missing something in the kit?
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah, there are two chlorine tests in a TF100. The OTO chlorine test (drops turn the sample yellow which is compared to a color chart) and the FAS-DPD (or weekly) chlorine test (powder turns the sample pink and drops eventually turn it clear again). It sounds like you haven't noticed the FAS-DPD chlorine test yet. I believe it is called the weekly chlorine test in the instructions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll check that out

How quickly can I add the liquid chlorine? I have the pump running at full speed (3450 rpm). Is 1 gal per hour too much?

6. Back To Top    #6

Just pour slow enough thatthe yellow bleach cloud dissipates in the return stream. Otherwise, pour it all in one after another. You want to get FC UP ASAP.

The only thing better for shocking is 12.5% pool chlorine, simply because there are fewer jugs.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Nightmare - right there with you dude. Spent all day testing, measuring and pouring. Took me close to
    4 gals to get a stable FC. Hopefully it holds tonight and I pass thr overnight loss test.

Good luck!
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

OK, whatever was in there should be dead dead by now.

I knew I should have tested before that last bottle of chlorine.

FC - 23-24
    CC - 0
    pH - 8-8.2
    TA - 110-120

I did a TA test for the first time. Drop #11 made the water clear, drop #12 made it red/pink. Is that a TA of 110 or 120?

If the FC holds overnight, how long will it take the level to drop below 16? It's going to be sunny and about 90 for the next 3 days, then mid 90s for the next 3 days.

9. Back To Top    #9

Pink is the endpoint on the TA test so 120 is your TA.

How long the water takes for the FC to drop is not something we can predict because it depends on local factors such as amount of sun on the pool, the environment, the CYA level, and other things.

10. Back To Top    #10

I figured out the problem. The Pool Calculator was set to 6% as the default. I put in 12.5% Oops

Do you think the calculator is accurate enough to calculate the actual gallons based on the amount I put into the pool? I know the starting point and the ending point, and I know how many gallons I used.

I had the calculator set to 26,000 gal. If the math works the actual pool is closer to 29,000

11. Back To Top    #11

The calculator works out to my volume correctly or CL. pH is a bit off probably due to the error with color matching so I've learned to go no more than 75% of the calculator's recommendations for acid.
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare
    I'm getting ready to shock the pool. My CYA is about 40. How am I supposed to measure a FC of 16? The test kit only goes to 5.

Do I just use the Pool Calculator and let it do the math?

Yes, use the pool calc. If your test strip gives you an accurate reading at ~1-5 use the pool calc to go from there. Thats what I did, and I successfully shocked my pool to clarity while I wait for my test kit. Shock at night and your chlorine will be more effective. Using a majority of your chlorine in the morning will be wasted on the sun.
    16,000 gal in-ground
    Pump: Hayward C48K2N143 1HP 230V
    Filter: DE Triton Nautilus FNS-36

13. Back To Top    #13

OK, guess it isn't dead yet

FC last night at 9:30 pm was 49 drops (24.5)

Does difused sun light burn off the chlorine, or only direct sunlight?

I got up a little late this morning. The the sun was up, but not on the pool yet. I took the sample and left it in the bathroom for about 2 hours. The curtain was closed, but the sun lights up the bathroom in the morning.

I just tested the sample and it was 38 drops (19)

14. Back To Top    #14

You don't know if you passed or not. Just leaving the sample that long will have an effect.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I tested the water again just now. It is much lower than last night.

FC - 35 drops (17.5)
    CC - 1 drop (.5)

I'll run the overnight test again tonight.

On the up side; the water is very clear

16. Back To Top    #16

I went to the pool store to pick up some more chlorine.

They have a very differnet poop protocol:

Get the FC to 50 ppm
    Don't let the level drop below 2 (that seems way too low)
    No swimming for a week

They had some print out. It didn't look like this CDC one:

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/swi ... ations.pdf

17. Back To Top    #17

[center:1qnznhqd][youtube:1qnznhqd]Th_aBzrV37M[/youtube:1qnznhqd]

Someone had to post it! [/center:1qnznhqd]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

18. Back To Top    #18

Hmm, FC level is down to about 4. Should I bring it back up to 16?

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes, until you pass the OCLT.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

20. Back To Top    #20

OK, everything looks ok now.

I overdosed on the chlorine again.

The Pool shop showed a FC of 7. I did 1/2 water + 1/2 pool water and I came up with about the same.

I put 3 more gallons of chlorine in last night. The FC went up to 29ppm

I tested again this morning and it was actually 30ppm

CC is something less than .5 (the water was just the slightest shade of pink after the 5 drops).

Now I just hope it can burn down to a good level by the weekend.

One other item of note. The computer put my CYA at 62, so I guess it is a good thing I hit higher numbers on the chlorine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast