Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Store vs. My Test Results

1. Back To Top    #1
    Phoenix, AZ

Pool Store vs. My Test Results

So, I have been using BBB since the start of the season and test my water with my TF100. I get obsessive at times testing ph and chlorine couple times a day. Pool water sparkles!

There has been a lot of topics lately about testing CYA and the black dot, etc. So I decided to test my water this morning than take the same sample to the pool store to compare the findings. Here we go.....

My Test Results:

FC: 5
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.5
    TA: 90
    CH: 300
    CYA: 30 Little low I know but I will be using some left over pucks here shortly.

Pool Store Results:
    FC: 3
    TC: 3
    PH: 7.6
    CH: 360
    TA: 110
    CYA: 99 (Really?)
    and of course they said the phosphates were at 200.....who cares.

She asked how many pucks I have floating and I said zero and that I was using liquid Chlorine. Told me I was nuts.
    I said my CYA was really high before so I didn't want to have to go through that again and she said that CYA up to 300 showed no effect on the chlorine.....but that her test could only go to 100.... .(If the test only goes to 100, maybe that should tell you something.)

Tried to sell me some phosfree, which I respectfully declined.

Anyway, thought you all might find this interesting.
    10,000gallon, IG Pebble Tec, Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS 3hp Variable Speed Pump
    Hayward Cart Filter C4025, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, 1 vac line, 1 skimmer, 2 Main Drain, 3 returns, 2" plumbing
    TF100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pool Store vs. My Test Results

Thanks for sharing. The CYA result is the only one that is way out of line with your results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School