hayward s244t sand filter extra 50lb sand

fal900

May 29, 2009
I installed my hayward filter today 300lb sand filter 6 50lb bags

after installing all six bags i checked the sand level according to the instructions 300lb of sand or the sand should be 6 inches from the top of the filter. so i measured from the sand to the top and was no where near 6 inches i was probably 12 inches from the top. I figured instuctions stated 6 inches from the top so i bought another 50lb bag of sand and now I am around 8 inches from the top so I left it at that. Sand is probably 6 inches from center stand pipe.

I am wondering why I needed extra 50lb sand I know you will get some sand loss from the bags that seems like quite a bit.

I have not finished attaching all my plumbing yet I plan to do that tomorrow. Do my sand levels seem to be ok ? any advice to me I am just hoping I do not have too much sand?

i install those hayward filters all day long, and i wouldnt worry about how many inches away from the top so much as it has enough sand,which you put the proper amount into. if its overfilled with sand the laterals may not be able to push the water through the sand properly and you may have restricted flow through the multiport. hope i helped

Chenderson84 said:
i install those hayward filters all day long, and i wouldnt worry about how many inches away from the top so much as it has enough sand,which you put the proper amount into. if its overfilled with sand the laterals may not be able to push the water through the sand properly and you may have restricted flow through the multiport. hope i helped

Thanks for the help. Ok I have finished installation everything appears to be working fine but i still have a few questions.

Filter is making noise at valve not real loud just a grasping sound ( like a stirring noise ) is that normal ? pressure gauge does not stay completly steady kinda always flickers. my pressure by the way is 15psi is that good ? Am i suppose to get a little sand in glass piece on valve in rinse and backwash modes ?

Other than those questions pressure at returns is good and everything appears to be operating normally

JohnT said:
Noise at the valve and fluctating pressure sounds like an air leak. Is the pump strainer basket completely full of water?

The pump basket is full with water no bubbles psi gauge studders (rapid movement) between 15 16 psi.

A little shake on the return line off the filter that was not there before. Given I had a cartridge filter.

Is there suppose to be any noise at the valve ? Noise may be normal ?

fal900 said:
JohnT said:
Noise at the valve and fluctating pressure sounds like an air leak. Is the pump strainer basket completely full of water?

The pump basket is full with water no bubbles psi gauge studders (rapid movement) between 15 16 psi.

A little shake on the return line off the filter that was not there before. Given I had a cartridge filter.

Is there suppose to be any noise at the valve ? Noise may be normal ?
This is what mine does, guage is a little shaky but stable and accurate. the multiport soulds like a few icecubes in a plastic cup of water hitting the sides of the cup, almost a ticking noise. always has... :goodjob:

I have the same problem as fal900. I replaced my old DE Hayward filter as I was tired of breaking it down several times for cleaning, and the vanes and all were needing replacing as well. I went with the Hayward 244T sand filter, 300 pounds of sand, on the recommendation of the local dealer. Ever since I have issues with the clarity of the water. All else seems correct. My wife particularly is not happy. I have used clarifiers with some successs but never complete success. When I measured the height of the sand, it was 13 inches from the top, not the called for 6 inches in the manual. THe dealer said to ignore the manual. I'm going to check the size of the sand although it would be very surprising if Hayward's own dealer sold the wrong sand. I can get just so close to clear water but never all the way, leaving a tint of color especially in the deep end and over anything white, such as stairs. Any ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh yes, full disclosure needed here. I also switched at another's urging from the usual chlorine to EZ Pool at the same time. I'm trying to look through here for material on EZ Pool and nothing very positive so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.