Are too many skimmers a bad thing?

Evening All....newbie to the forum and just signed on the dotted line for a new pool to be installed in a few weeks and had a question on skimmers. I got the PB to throw in another skimmer for a total of three and I want to make sure it actually helps rather than hinders. Heres the main specs on the pool going in (if anyone needs anything else please let me know):

True "L" 16x32
16X32 4' shallow end
16X16 8' deep end
Hayward EcoStar VS pump
Hayward Swimclear C4030 Filter
Hayward 21104T Heat Pro Heat Pump
2 Deep Water Returns
4 Return Jets
2 Jets in jut out bench in deepend

The PB placed 2 skimmers on the far wall of the deepend and 1 centered on the wall opposite the inside 90 degree turn on the "L"
2 return jets are placed on the opposite wall from the 2 skimmers and the other two are coming from where the stairs into the shallow end are and are opposite the 1 centered skimmer.

My question is this too much? Is there any downside to having too many skimmers? From reading throughout this forum I see that I need to make sure that each skimmer is plumbed independetly back to the equipment pad rather than being tied together on the same line. Appreciate any input you have.

Welcome to TFP!

As long as you are able to control the flow of water by valve adjustment for each skimmer, I see this as nothing but a good thing really. You get more skimming action than you would with fewer skimmers and that makes for a cleaner pool.

Welcome to TFP!!

Can you hand sketch the proposed layout and post a pic of it? (something sounds odd about the layout)

Also, what kind of pool will this be, crete or liner?

Sorry for the questions, but the more we know about your pool, the better we can advise :-D

Sure can and TY all for the assistance. Pool is a vinyl liner on concrete walls...pardon my lack of artistic ability here. The skimmers are denoted by the squares with the "s" in them and the returns are labeled as such as well as some dimensions. The prevailing winds in my area would push debris across the pool towards the one centered skimmer and hopefully by the returns to the deepend skimmers. Thoughts?

TY. What a great forum that so many people are willing to help others with no underlying motives. I've only been here a week or so but I certainly will contribute to help keep this site going as its simply a wonderful resource for people like me who want to learn and don't want to be at the mercy of pool store/industry profit margins.

I'm gonna try to post my proposal (fingers crossed :lol: )

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc20 ... layout.jpg

Please note I moved the center of the shallow end skimmer over ~ 18". If you lay it out this way, you should get a good circular pattern of flow and reduce dead spots - though others are free to comment :)

[edit] Have the steps on one valved line, the bench on another and the regular returns plumbed parallel on a third valved line :wink: Each skimmer should have it's own valved line and the MDs their own.

You might want to consider a couple of 'low returns' to help keep the deeper water moving - on their own valved line. :cool:

Glad to help :)

Please show the PB my layout and see what he says. (I've got a LONG day for Sunday - 8 am - 10 pm :eek: )

I'm glad you got onto the 'quick list' but please run the proposed plumbing/ equipment by us before it's installed!

Have a great weekend and CELEBRATE the 4th of July!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.