Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are too many skimmers a bad thing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are too many skimmers a bad thing?

Evening All....newbie to the forum and just signed on the dotted line for a new pool to be installed in a few weeks and had a question on skimmers. I got the PB to throw in another skimmer for a total of three and I want to make sure it actually helps rather than hinders. Heres the main specs on the pool going in (if anyone needs anything else please let me know):

True "L" 16x32
    16X32 4' shallow end
    16X16 8' deep end
    Hayward EcoStar VS pump
    Hayward Swimclear C4030 Filter
    Hayward 21104T Heat Pro Heat Pump
    2 Deep Water Returns
    4 Return Jets
    2 Jets in jut out bench in deepend

The PB placed 2 skimmers on the far wall of the deepend and 1 centered on the wall opposite the inside 90 degree turn on the "L"
    2 return jets are placed on the opposite wall from the 2 skimmers and the other two are coming from where the stairs into the shallow end are and are opposite the 1 centered skimmer.

My question is this too much? Is there any downside to having too many skimmers? From reading throughout this forum I see that I need to make sure that each skimmer is plumbed independetly back to the equipment pad rather than being tied together on the same line. Appreciate any input you have.
    25K Gallon IG Vinyl Liner w/ concrete walls True "L" 16X32X16, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward Swimclear C4030 Filter, Hayward 21104T Heat Pro Titanium Heat Pump, Hayward Aqua Plus SWG + Automation, 2 Hayward Color Logic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 9300 cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are too many skimmers a bad thing?

Welcome to TFP!

As long as you are able to control the flow of water by valve adjustment for each skimmer, I see this as nothing but a good thing really. You get more skimming action than you would with fewer skimmers and that makes for a cleaner pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Makes sense to me. TY for the help! Great forum and have learned so much as this is my first pool.
    25K Gallon IG Vinyl Liner w/ concrete walls True "L" 16X32X16, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Hayward Swimclear C4030 Filter, Hayward 21104T Heat Pro Titanium Heat Pump, Hayward Aqua Plus SWG + Automation, 2 Hayward Color Logic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 9300 cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

Can you hand sketch the proposed layout and post a pic of it? (something sounds odd about the layout)

Also, what kind of pool will this be, crete or liner?

Sorry for the questions, but the more we know about your pool, the better we can advise
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Sure can and TY all for the assistance. Pool is a vinyl liner on concrete walls...pardon my lack of artistic ability here. The skimmers are denoted by the squares with the "s" in them and the returns are labeled as such as well as some dimensions. The prevailing winds in my area would push debris across the pool towards the one centered skimmer and hopefully by the returns to the deepend skimmers. Thoughts?

6. Back To Top    #6

Please give me another day to work on this - I'm trying to reposition the skimmers and returns for more optimal flow and debris catching
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

TY. What a great forum that so many people are willing to help others with no underlying motives. I've only been here a week or so but I certainly will contribute to help keep this site going as its simply a wonderful resource for people like me who want to learn and don't want to be at the mercy of pool store/industry profit margins.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm gonna try to post my proposal (fingers crossed )

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc20 ... layout.jpg

Please note I moved the center of the shallow end skimmer over ~ 18". If you lay it out this way, you should get a good circular pattern of flow and reduce dead spots - though others are free to comment

[edit] Have the steps on one valved line, the bench on another and the regular returns plumbed parallel on a third valved line Each skimmer should have it's own valved line and the MDs their own.

You might want to consider a couple of 'low returns' to help keep the deeper water moving - on their own valved line.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

9. Back To Top    #9

My PB had a cancellation and my dig starts on Tuesday! Thanks so much for the effort and the excellent information Waste...I plan on going through it with my PB tomorrow.

10. Back To Top    #10

Glad to help

Please show the PB my layout and see what he says. (I've got a LONG day for Sunday - 8 am - 10 pm )

I'm glad you got onto the 'quick list' but please run the proposed plumbing/ equipment by us before it's installed!

Have a great weekend and CELEBRATE the 4th of July!!!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted