Thread: Tap Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Tap Water

So I tested my tap water and this is what I got:

FC: 0.0
    CC: 0.0
    pH: 7.8
    TA: 220

Don't know if this is good or bad, just thought I'd throw it out there and see what someone can tell me.
    33' x 54" Round AG - 150lb Clearwater High Flow sand filter - 1.5 hp two peed Hayward pump - TF-100 Test Kit - 1 clear clean pool thanks to TFP and BBB - 1 soggy wife and 3 water logged boys. Next up, THE deck!

All of the above now in wreckage, hauled for scrap...and to wrap hunting blinds.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tap Water

It means you will need to add acid soon after adding any significant amount of water.

What's the CH value? That one's not so easy to fix!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

CH: 20
    33' x 54" Round AG - 150lb Clearwater High Flow sand filter - 1.5 hp two peed Hayward pump - TF-100 Test Kit - 1 clear clean pool thanks to TFP and BBB - 1 soggy wife and 3 water logged boys. Next up, THE deck!

All of the above now in wreckage, hauled for scrap...and to wrap hunting blinds.

4. Back To Top    #4

Your tap water TA level is quite high, which will mean lowering TA any time you add a significant amount of water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by stack_climber
    CH: 20
    wow, i thought i had it low at 40, but yours is almost clear of any calcium!
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

6. Back To Top    #6

Last I tested our tap water it was <3ppm CH (tested with a electronic meter). Water Bureau says 2-14ppm is normal here but I think that 14 is from the gross emergency wells (I can tell when we're on the well water, ick!) because normally it comes from the Bull Run Reservoir in the foothills of Mt. Hood. Un-filtered, un-pumped, lightly chlorinated, and at about 90psi. Can't beat 12000 feet of elevation for water pressure, I can fill my 5300 gallon pool in about 3 hours with two hoses. We drink rainwater/snow melt/deer pee water here. It's quite tasty... and creates water snobs. :~}

They caught someone peeing into one of the open reservoirs in the city last week (dude said he thought it was a water treatment plant... ya right...) and the bureau decided to drain the whole thing. ummm... one man's pee vs hundreds of deer, bear, bobcat, and whatever else roams the forest up there urinating as they get their daily morning drink... ummmm... ???? When I was in high school there were no security guards at these reservoirs, I wonder how many people peed in it over the years and no one cared. sigh...
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

7. Back To Top    #7

I actually had to run the test twice and use the method for water containing copper. The results I posted were from the initial two drops it says to add if your water contains copper. Without that, the water never turned color at all after the R-0011L not even a light shade of pink.