uhhh.. new guys question on returns

Mar 26, 2011
Hi,

We just bought a house with a 20k gallon pool. It has a built in spa. There are 2 returns to the main pool and 3 returns to the spa. I have the valves set to pull from the pool's 2 bottom drains and skimmer and to return to the pool. The valves are not set to the spa at all- since I am not using the spa and want all the flow i the main pool. However one of the spa returns is still on.....
Can I just plug or cap off that return to get better pressure from the 2 returns in the main pool? Will plugging it off damage anything?

Also.... what direct should the eyeball returns be aiming? I have them set to turn counterclockwise, aiming towards the deep end where the skimmer is...

Any help is appreciated!

You must have some water circulating through the spa. Otherwise it will quickly go green.

Aiming return jets is more an art than a science. Watch for debris collecting on the surface anywhere, which will indicate a dead spot, and then try moving jets to revive that area.

thanks! Is it ok to close off a return by plugging it? The spa and pool have the same water level.. meaning the spa doesnt really cascade over to the pool. So if I plug up the one return on the spa it will still get circulation from the main pool

Hi Richard,

Here is a pic of the pool.

I closed the valve to the spa bottom drain and the pool pump is now only pulling from the main pool drain and the skimmer.

I also set the pump valves to return only to the main pool (the main pool has 2 returns) but one of the 3 spa returns is still flowing (the other 2 spa returns are off).... It seems that one spa return must be tied to the main pool return line.

I am wanting to plug off that spa return and only have the returns running to the main pool.

The water level is the same in the pool and spa. The spa is in fact a part of the pool. It has a small wall between the pool but the top of that wall is actually under the water level of the main pool.

Hope this makes sense.

I am thinking that since I shut off the spa drain, turning off the spa return that is running (and shouldnt be running) wont be an issue, but I wanted to make sure that plugging a running return wont cause an issue.

Attachments

• pool spa.jpg
    pool spa.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 117
citadel, welcome to TFP!!

PLEASE listen to Richard - he is giving you the best advice!

I'm not sure if you are questioning his advice because he is the only one answering your questions, but on this forum - if no one else jumps in with advice, it means that you've already gotten what we would say/ suggest and Richard gave you the perfect answers :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.