My First Test Results - Pool Company Recomended Oxidiser?

Jun 24, 2011
FC: 0.3
TC: 4.1
CC: 3.9
pH: 7.8
Hardness: 185
Alkalinity: 130
CYA: 30

I am currently fighting algae so I think that is why my CC is so high. The guy at the pool store said I should use "non-sanitizing oxidiser" to reduce the combined chlorine which will lower my CC... but wont my CC lower itself when all the algae is dead and filtered and there are no contaminates left for the chlorine to be killing?.. (I thought CC was a product of the killing process).

Their printout gives instructions based on the readings and it said: "Super chlorinate the pool to destroy contaminates, use unstabilized liquid chlorine for super-chlorination if the CYA is high"... But since they do not sell unstabilized chlorine, he tried to sell me the non-sanitizing oxidizer... Printout also says this oxidizer is only to "remove excess CC buildup and will not sanitize the pool"..

... So whats the story with this non-sanitizing oxidizer?

Re: My First Test Results - Pool Company Recomended Oxidiser

Probably MPS (monosodium persulfate, I think) It'll work but it's very pricey and Clorox will do just as well.

read How to "Shock your Pool" up in Pool School and plan on buying a BUNCH of Clorox.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.