Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: have to use tablets for a few days...need advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Sunny Phoenix AZ

have to use tablets for a few days...need advice

Hi guys,
    I usually add liquid chlorine to my pool daily this time of year (1 gal/ slows dramatically during the less sunny season) to maintain 6-8ppm of FC. It's 110 degrees and full sun all day, the water is REALLY warm this time of year.
    I'm going on vacation for a couple of days and I need to use 3" tabs to maintain the chlorine while I'm gone.
    I've never really used tabs before, so I don't know how long they take to dissolve, how many to use, etc. I have a floaty and I guess if I need more I could put some in the skimmer...
    I've got 4 tabs on hand, but could always buy more...
    28,000 gallons / Plaster / Hayward 30" Sand Filter / PoolCleaner 4x / PoolSkim / Hayward RS1500 / CircuPool RJ60

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: have to use tablets for a few days...need advice

My personal experience:

The 3" pucks take a couple weeks to dissolve. I have 5 pucks in a floater in a 16K pool, and they just barely maintain 4 FC. CYA is somewhere close to 50; haven't measured it lately because I'm still adding.

If you have a cover, you can reduce the UV losses. I loaded up my pool with bleach (no floater then) prior to going to England for 10 days, and kept FC loss to about 1.4ppm/day. It wasn't as hot then, though.

Your mileage may vary.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Re: have to use tablets for a few days...need advice

I can put a 3" puck in my skimmer...........circulate for 12 hours and it's 90% gone! I'd say about a 4 day average just floatin' in a puck dispenser. Bring that puppy to shock level and add some pucks.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!