Pool Rover Jr.

Jul 21, 2010
Connecticut
I recently bought one of these for my 30 ft round above ground pool. On first startup, it made a few 20 ft. passes. After that just 5-6 ft passes before going into reverse. Been that way ever since. It does a good job otherwise. But I have to keep moving it around to cover all of the pool. Is this normal ?

I have a pool Rover Jr also, I know that you have to move the pin in front on the axel to the other side every time you take him out of the pool so the next time he go's in he will do his thing across the pool and also will not tangle up the cord. some times if i for get to move the pin he do's not due what he is needs to do

Did you have your pool pump on at the time ?? I know mine doesn't like to do the full swipe across the pool when it is running. I guess it trying to move against the current that the pump is making. So I always run mine when the pump is off..

Does your power supply have the "Extend time" button on the front of it ?? Do you have it pressed in-- this increases the amount of time that it goes from one direction to the other ?

All my power supply has is an on/off button. Pin is in the middle hole. Covers my 16x32 just fine with a few short strokes mixed in. I always drop mine in with the swivel wheels away from the pool wall.

Some times i have it on and it do'es fine. I do have the extend time button, and I only run it if I need to clean more but my pool is pretty much clean with the 45 min I run, it picks up some of the stuff I don't see on the bottom I have a 12x24x52 rectangle pool and I put it in the middle of the pool and the pin side is facing the other side of the pool and it takes off from there and cleans my whole pool

I called the manufacturer and they said the rover is programmed to work this way. It works like cutting a pie. First it makes a full path to determine the center. From the center it works like cutting a pie. I think mine is working the way it is supposed to. Need to determine the best position for the pin. And, I will still probably have to move it around to get full coverage.

It Cracks me up when the manufacturer says it is programmed. Am I missing something, move the pin and it changes the arc. I have a Rover and after several attempts I have it doing small arcs. I finally realized it was fighting my filter, I think the current on top pulls the cord, since I was going faster in one direction than the other. No complaints so far 0ther than the cord tangles and I have had it riding along the wall, not sure how it did that but it was riding 2 wheels on ground and 2 on wall perpendicular to bottom. Maybe 1 beef, for some reason it rides on 3 wheels, like it is a little buoyant?

Now my question, I have it so I can cover the 30' length, but when it does it's pie turns it hits the wall, is this damaging the liner? I would think if it was they would rubberize the wheels.

I will agree the the PR jr uses a pin to move around the pool in an arc. Mine happens to come with an adjustable timer and can be set to change direction every 1-90secs. My understanding is that they did away with this feature on the newer models. Ours has been hitting the pool wall for 3 years and has not affected the liner in any way.

The Jr is diferent from the regular Rover. The Jr doesn't come with the 0-60 second timer that you can adjust when it should reverse, it reverses on its on (programed). The pin is used to change the direction it turns so that the cord untangles itself. I know because my Pool Rover Plus uses the same pin and the cord was getting tangled until I called and was told to change the pin and the cord should untangle itself. So far so good!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got a Jr that didn't work. When the warranty department sent me a new one it came with a power supply that does not have the adjustable time, but instead came with an extra sheet of paper that said it is the "New Special Power Supply with Extended Time Capability". This says that the cleaner will not always touch the opposite wall before reversing. It still has the adjustable pin and it recommends that each time you move the pin to the opposite wheel to prevent cord memory.

JetsonPoolBoy said:
The Jr is diferent from the regular Rover. The Jr doesn't come with the 0-60 second timer that you can adjust when it should reverse, it reverses on its on (programed). The pin is used to change the direction it turns so that the cord untangles itself. I know because my Pool Rover Plus uses the same pin and the cord was getting tangled until I called and was told to change the pin and the cord should untangle itself. So far so good!

I have a 3yr old JR with the 60min timer....the recently changed the power supply box

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.