Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High PH

1. Back To Top    #1

High PH

I suspect the reason for my question is the waterfall and high usage. We just moved in last week and have been in the pool every night since. FC has been pretty consistent. 7 FC in the evening around 5 pm and add bleach to 10 FC. But PH has been less than predictable. Trying to figure out why. I have a decent from my hot tub that is always on during pool mode 10 hours a day. Read last night about ph increasing cause of aeration so I deleted the program for the waterfall. Why does my PH continue to rise. I thought I read that most people typically add a few cups of MA but today I had to add 46 oz of MA.
    18,500 gallons, Cartridge Filter, In Ground Plaster. Jandy CL460 Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High PH

The most common cause is TA being too high, though there are other possibilities, like plaster less than a year old.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Check the TA of the pool and you fill water. My tap water is TA 340 so even a bit of full water can raise TA and pH is a constant issue. Drought with so little rain means more filling.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Probably high TA is forcing pH up. The waterfall just accelerates the process. So you may want to leave it run and keep lowering pH to 7.2 every time it hit's 7.8. The quantities of acid required will keep going down each time as TA goes down. Eventually, you will hit the sweet spot for your pool where you only need a cup or two maybe twice a week. Or even less.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone. Going to buy some more MA today and start to lower TA. Last time I tested TA it was 260 so it is definitely high. Probably take me a week to lower it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just added 111 oz of MA. How often should I check the TA if I started at 260? I assume it is going to take a few days to lower it to the proper levels.

7. Back To Top    #7

Just go ahead and be obsessive, and test at least twice a day. Test kit refills are cheap when you consider the hours of amusement they can provide.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Got up early before work this morning to check levels. PH was up to 7.5 and TA dropped to 150. Added 43 oz of MA and left waterfall running. Maybe I will be in range tomorrow.

Now what do I do with the extra 5 gallons of MA I bought. I guess I will use it eventually. Just thought I would of needed much more.

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh I would hang on to it, especially if you have high TA fill water
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

PH raised to 7.8 during the day but TA stayed the same. Added 71 oz of MA and PH is now at 7.2. Waterfall is staying on all night again. Hopefully the TA will continue to drop.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yup...it's the MA additions that lower TA. Aeration raises PH without effecting TA.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

TA lowered to 140 this morning. Slowed down drastically. Guess I may end up using more of the MA than I originally thought.

13. Back To Top    #13

TA down to 110 last night PH was back up to 7.8. Lowered PH to 7.2 again. Hopefully I will be close to TA of 80 today. Dreading replacing the water for CH and CYA this fall and raising TA again. But oh well I will get it all where I want it eventually.