Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to begin after new liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to begin after new liner?

We have used the BBB method for at least 2 years but I'm not real sure where to begin from here... The pool guy shocked the pool, added algecide and super blue yesterday. I checked the numbers this morning and of course everything is low...

CF 0
    pH 6.5
    TA 40
    CYA 0

With tomorrow being Sunday, the pool stores are closed so I can't buy any stablizer. The water is clear but had a heavy bather load today.

Do I shock the pool or just add enough bleach to keep at a decent level until i can get stablizer... Also at what point should I address the pH?
    18x36 IG vinyl liner, sand filter, approx 26500 gals, Aquabot pool cleaner
    Loving my pool, thanks to the BBB method :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to begin after new liner?

You can get stabilizer at Walmart or Lowe's. Or you can chlorinate with dichlor to raise the CYA level too.

You probably want to start nudging your pH upward too.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

You can get stabilizer in some of the hardware stores .. our local Rural King has it. Or, you can use dichlor to chlorinate and add stabilizer, just keep track of how much you've used so you don't add too much.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

First, I suggest you add enough baking soda to get your TA to 50.

Then, ease your pH up to the low 7's using Borax.

Add bleach daily to maintain about 2 ppm FC and increase/adjust after you add CYA.

Unless you have a reason (cloudy water, excess CC, algae, etc) then you do not have to shock.

After you get the above adjusted and FC added, retest.

How does the water look?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info on buying stabilizer at Walmart, Lowes, etc. I'll definitely check that out.
    Ok... I added 4 lbs of baking soda last night. The pool calculator said it would take 16 lbs to get TA 80, and 8 lbs to get pH for 6.5 to 7.2, so I thought 4 lbs would be a safe amount... Also bc of the big bather load yesterday and the fact that the water tested 0 for FC, I added bleach to bring FC to 10. (should be shock level according to pool calculator with no cya)

This mornings readings
    FC 7.8
    pH 7.8
    TA 40

Did my pH jump that much bc there's no stabilizer? Also, why didn't my TA change?
    18x36 IG vinyl liner, sand filter, approx 26500 gals, Aquabot pool cleaner
    Loving my pool, thanks to the BBB method :)

6. Back To Top    #6

4 lbs of baking soda will have raised the TA by about 10. The TA test is +-10, so it could easily miss a small change like that.

When TA is too low the PH can swing around wildly, which appears to be what you are seeing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School