Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Standard/control FC sample

1. Back To Top    #1

Standard/control FC sample

I'd like to create a standard and/or control solution to check the accuracy of my test kits measuring FC. I don't know how to do the math but I figure a teaspoon of 6% naocl in ?? amount of distiled water that should test at ?? FC.

Thanks
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Standard/control FC sample

0.01 ounces (0.296 ml.)of 6 % bleach in 1 gallon should provide a reference sample of 4.8 ppm.

1 teaspoon (4.93 ml.) in 10 gallons will provide a reference sample of 8 ppm FC. Although, I think that you would have a hard time getting the amounts exact enough to be accurate.

3. Back To Top    #3

You also can't count on the strength of the bleach. Bleach loses strength as it ages, starting out stronger than what it is labeled and going down over time. There can be as much as a 20% variation in strength from bottle to bottle.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My results from Aquacheck sticks, orthotolidine and DPD are consistently reading together 2.0 ppm less than my fas-dpd test from my TF-50 kit. I want to figure out where the error is.
    10,800 gallons
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Trust the FAS-DPD. You can use the 25 ml sample size to get more accuracy.

6. Back To Top    #6

Keep in mind that the OTO test is completely unreliable at distinguishing anything that is 3 or higher from anything else 3 or higher, and is already questionable at 2. Test strips are dramatically imprecise. The error on the DPD test varies significantly over the available range and is much higher at higher FC levels. And none of the tests are ever better than +-10% of the measured value, and are usually worse.

Since the error varies so much with the level, what levels are you measuring with the various tests?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Keep in mind that the OTO test is completely unreliable at distinguishing anything that is 3 or higher from anything else 3 or higher, and is already questionable at 2. Test strips are dramatically imprecise. The error on the DPD test varies significantly over the available range and is much higher at higher FC levels. And none of the tests are ever better than +-10% of the measured value, and are usually worse.

Since the error varies so much with the level, what levels are you measuring with the various tests?
    Yesterdays FC check:
    AquaCheck, OTO and DPD=2.0
    Fas-DPD=4.0

and these results have been typical.
    10,800 gallons
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

That is a dramatic difference. I don't believe the OTO test or the test strips, but neither the DPD test or FAS-DPD test should off by nearly that much in those ranges.

I like JamesW's idea of doing a 25 ml sample by 0.2s with the FAS-DPD test. That reduces a couple of the possible sources of error, though not all of them.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    That is a dramatic difference. I don't believe the OTO test or the test strips, but neither the DPD test or FAS-DPD test should off by nearly that much in those ranges.

Exactly. I'm being very careful to follow instructions as well. I'm using the extended version that you posted Jason and I'm double checking my technique. I don't know.
    10,800 gallons
    TF-100 Test Kit