Just bought a bunch of Dichlor, should I return it?

Jun 24, 2011
So I was at Sam's club today and got 50lbs of Dichlor (Because I knew i needed chlorine stuff but didnt know what was best).... from what I am reading, this stuff will be good to use for an initial shocking if I have a low CYA, however if I continue to use it, my CYA will blow through the roof and it will eventually cause added chlorine to lose its potency (and require more to do the job because it will be WAY too stable).

So I'm thinking I should return it? Get a smaller container to just use to shock if my CYA is ever too low?

I have another question. If I have this high CYA in my pool (Because the CYA stays even after the chlorine in the dichlor dissolves)... Will adding unstabilized liquid chlorine bleach become stabilized with the CYA already in the pool from a past dichlor treatment?

From what I am reading, stabilized chlorine just reacts slower and over an longer period of time, where unstabilized reacts immediately and has no long lasting effects, correct?.. And if CYA is extremely high, the chlorine will just react so incredibly slowly that it will essentially be ineffective?

Very good grasshopper, you have developed a good understanding of the interactions.
Become a go od student of the Pool Calculator, it will show you the total CYA per lb of dichlor.

While Dichlor is fine when it is managed properly, there is absolutely NOTHING as good as liquid chlorine to put into your pool as a daily saqnitizer or to perform the shock process.

Dichlor is particularly troublesome because of the way it can make your CYA really jump. It is my least favorite method of providing chlorination to a pool.

I would take it back. :cry:

I would take it back too. It would probably take you a decade to use up 50 lbs. of it.

I will admit that I like dichlor when it comes time to raise CYA because it does it so quickly. It's overuse though can get you into trouble with high CYA just as quickly though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.