Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl liner feels like sandpaper

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl liner feels like sandpaper

Split from this topic. Please start your own topic.

Hello all! I'm having the same problem with a vinyl liner that feels like sandpaper (and I also notice that my hands feel very slick). The liner was smooth about a week ago. I have had trouble lowering the pH, but my calcium appears to be LOW, and I have no idea why I would get calcium scaling with low calcium levels.

I have an in-ground 30,000 gal. chlorine pool, it's a very clear blue, although I have to add chlorine every couple days to keep it up. I had the water tested today:
    FC: 0.7
    TA: 227
    pH: 8.2
    CH: 31
    CYA: 6

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

-- Rob

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Vinyl liner feels like sandpaper

It sure sounds like calcium scaling (which you already know). Lets assume for a moment your numbers are correct; pool store testing is notoriously untrustworthy. With pH @ 8.2 and TA @ 227, you don't need much calcium to start scaling. 8.2 is as high as most pH tests go, so it could actually be higher than that. CH of 31 is exceptionally low; that is very unlikely to be correct.

We recommend that everyone have their own complete drop based test kit (such as the TF-100, see the link in my sig). It's a bit pricey, but a lot cheaper in the long run than buying stuff you don't need at the pool store!

Welcome to TFP, by the way.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden