Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test and add and test and add... every half an hour

1. Back To Top    #1

Test and add and test and add... every half an hour

Split off of this topic. JasonLion

Jason,
    First thank you for this comprehensive post. I’m sure it has helped a lot of us.
    I have a couple of questions:
    You mentioned testing after half an hour. At an average flow of 50 gpm
    only 1500 gal of water circulate through the pump. What is the value of the measurement if we know for sure that the pool water hasn't been fully circulated?

You suggest to add each time to shock level, and you also mentioned to "hit hard".
    If we see that this is not just a bloom, but a swamp, isn't it better to start hard indeed? What should be the starting point?
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

How much water has passed through the pump is not a good measure of how throughly mixed the pool water is. How quickly the water mixes is a function of how good your circulation pattern is, not of how much water the pump has pumped. Water mixing is a process that goes on throughout the pool because of the water movement provided by the pump. Most pools will be well mixed in half an hour, even a pool with particularly bad circulation will be as throughly mixed as it is going to get within an hour.

There is a limit to how high you can safely take the FC level, even for very short periods. It is better to add chlorine frequently, than to add lots and lots of chlorine all at once. If you are feeling particularly aggressive, add enough chlorine to get to mustard algae shock level, instead of regular shock level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the reply.
    What is a leaf net? I read in more than one place an advice to clear the bottom of debris and leaves using a leaf net. My search showed that this is a cover placed on the top...
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

4. Back To Top    #4

Leaf rake:

The visual encyclopedia is a good resource for looking up this kind of thing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Leaf rake:

The visual encyclopedia is a good resource for looking up this kind of thing.
    This is what I thought, but I saw the term "leaf net"

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, once my pH and CYA stabilized (7.2 and 45) I added liquid chlorine targeting 24 as you suggested.

After half an hour FC was 20. I added enough chlorine for FC to reach the target. Half an hour later FC was 22 and CC just 2. At this stage I saw a faint white cloud submerged in the green water, so the water was a combination of faint white and green.
    Also I noticed that once I started shocking, rotten leaves came up to the surface. They haven't been there from the time the pool was opened until now.
    I wonder why the expected consumption of FC by the algae is so low.

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Test and add and test and add... every half an hour

Did you adjust pH before shocking?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.