Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: easy lightweight pool cover to save chlorine prevent algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

easy lightweight pool cover to save chlorine prevent algae?

I have pool in direct sunlight, temp gets high 95+ here and chlorine goes fast, also algae hard to deal with. I am currently not trying to run filter 24-7. I know there are solar cover but I don't need to heat pool at all. I would like a easy lightweight cover or reel type that will cover but not heat pool. We only use the pool on weekends normally. ANy ideas appreciated.
    13500 Gallon / BBB Method / TF100
    Pentair SD40 sand filter / 1.5hp Dynamo
    AG / Full Sun / Small Fountain
    Eastern NC, Moderate Rain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: easy lightweight pool cover to save chlorine prevent alg

A sun shade will help keep the pool cool much more than a cover that sits down on the water will.

Another approach is to install a small fountain, which can get you about 5 degrees of cooling.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: easy lightweight pool cover to save chlorine prevent alg

Another thing you can do to reduce temps is to run a solar panel, but run it at night when temps are lower... it will work to reduce the temp so long as the air temps are lower than the pool water temp.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits