Adding sand filter to 18' round Summer Escape pool - HELP!

Jun 25, 2011
How do you attach the sand filter (Intex model 20110) to bottom of the in-wall skimmer? Is there an adapter? Is there a plate you can install where the in-wall skimmer attached to hook the sand filter to? Am racking my brain & could use assistance from some of you experienced people, please!

Re: Adding sand filter to 18' round Summer Escape pool - HEL

I just hooked up a 1600 gph intex sand filter to my 12' summer escape pool with thru-wall skimmer. I did not use any adapters. Simply take the stock hose off, (save hoseclamps) then place the intake hose from the sand filter to the bottom of the existing pump (exactly where the other hose was). Again the return hose from the sand filter goes on the existing return of the pool. Use the summer escape hose clamps and tighten (VERY TIGHT). Hand tight will not due you need a ratching hex head driver to tighten the bolts. This has worked with no leaks for my pool for 5 days now. I did not want to make any modifications to my pool as I will be going larger next year.

The flow from the sand filter is going thru the non-op stock pump but if there is any effect it is minimal.

BTW upon start up of the sand filter I closed the weir to the thru-wall skimmer and added a cup of DE mixed with water to the skimmer. I did this twice for 2 cups of DE before I saw a jump on my PSI gauge.

You will be happy with this filter. Combined with the saltwater system I got my pool maintanece has been cut by 90% and the pool looks exponetialy better.

Same here! Left the pump on the skimmer and just attached the hose from that pump outlet to the new pump inlet. You can take the impeller out of the motor if you like by removing the screws and separating the pump, then just pull out the magnetic impeller and reassemble. Secure it back to the skimmer and you're good to go! the intex sand filter comes with a variety of hoses and adapters that it's easy to hook up :)

I'll be doing this exact same thing to my pool here in the next few days. The impeller came apart on me and there doesn't seem to be any replacement parts anymore. The filter didn't work all that well anyway. I do hope that this new sand filter works better.

Oh yeah I'm new here!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I would love to change to a different pump, but the canister on our pump is broke. We have tried to find a new canister and only polygroup carries them. We ordered one two weeks ago and they still haven't processed the order even though I've called them 3 times. We received the new filters we ordered but nothing about the canister because it comes from a different warehouse and they have no control over that and can't expedite. So with no canister we can't do anything unless someone has an idea how we can convert to a new pump and cover up the square hole in the side of our pool. Such a pain! We just bought this pool two years ago and the filter system is no longer available!!!!
I will never deal with this company again. They are worthless.

I'm disappointed with the Intex sand filter I installed today using the old pump (minus the impeller). It seems like I may not be getting even as much flow as I was with the stock pump and I'm not really able to vacuum with any significant suction using the skimmer plate. I thought it would be good to be able to vacuum to waste, as I was not able to do that using filter cartridges but this is not really any better.

robntex said:
I'm disappointed with the Intex sand filter I installed today using the old pump (minus the impeller).
Which intex do you have?

I do not know how much head loss you have going through the summer escapes pump, but if you have those long corrugated tubes, they also can cause quite a bit of head loss. I know of one person that had an extra length of those corugated tubes in their pump/filter loop and it kept them from vacuuming effectively with the 1600 gph intex sand filter. Once they got rid of the extra length, then they could vacuum fairly effectively.

linen said:
robntex said:
I'm disappointed with the Intex sand filter I installed today using the old pump (minus the impeller).
Which intex do you have?

I do not know how much head loss you have going through the summer escapes pump, but if you have those long corrugated tubes, they also can cause quite a bit of head loss. I know of one person that had an extra length of those corugated tubes in their pump/filter loop and it kept them from vacuuming effectively with the 1600 gph intex sand filter. Once they got rid of the extra length, then they could vacuum fairly effectively.

I have the 2650, I suppose the tube from the old pump to the sand filter pump could have some trimmed but I would lose the hose cuff. I might measure and buy the smallest tubing for the run and try that. I'm open any options, I was really wanting to open my pool this weekend but it I cant vacuum, I don't know what I'll do. Judging from the reviews of the sand pump, people have had good results but it does not seem to be filtering very good for me.

Jamison04 said:
Did you use the in line plunger type valves in your set up? If so try removing them all together. They really limit the suction/flow.

No, I did not use them. I even enlarged the out flow opening in the pool to accept the larger out - to - pool nozzle.

We have a Summer Escapes 20x48 and our pump has stopped working. Can I just leave the pump hooked up but take out the propeller/motor and hook up a salt water filter/pump to that? If so, how did you get it out easily? Will the water still flow through good? Thanks in advance for your reply.

jwoods0414 said:
We have a Summer Escapes 20x48 and our pump has stopped working. Can I just leave the pump hooked up but take out the propeller/motor and hook up a salt water filter/pump to that? If so, how did you get it out easily? Will the water still flow through good? Thanks in advance for your reply.

That is what I'm doing (using the old pump with the impeller removed). I had an extra pump with the impeller already broke so I'm not sure how to remove it.

I've got the same set up using the old pump with the impeller removed and have very good suction through the skimmer and pump and a pretty strong jet of water out the return. I also am using the corrugated hoses so I'm not quite sure why you aren't having better results... :?:

robntex said:
I'm disappointed with the Intex sand filter I installed today using the old pump (minus the impeller). It seems like I may not be getting even as much flow as I was with the stock pump and I'm not really able to vacuum with any significant suction using the skimmer plate. I thought it would be good to be able to vacuum to waste, as I was not able to do that using filter cartridges but this is not really any better.

Hi, can you post a picture of your current set up? Also please post a picture with the position of the multiport valve and the pressure gauge on the filter while it is running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.