Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 speed matrix verses dynamo

1. Back To Top    #1

2 speed matrix verses dynamo

I have a 3/4 hp one speed now (service factor of 1.0) and I would like to replace it with a 2 speed. The hayward matrix 2 speed model lowest hp rating is 1 hp, where the pentair dynamo has a 3/4 hp 2 speed model. Somewhere I have seen the the Hayward hp is "max rated" so it might be closer to 3/4 hp?

Any thoughts on which might be best for me?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 speed matrix verses dynamo

Either will probably be fine for you. To figure the real numbers you need to multiply the hp by the sf, also known as the SFHP. If they match closely then it's basically the same motor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Nearly all AG pumps are up rated so they should be similar in performance. The best thing to do is to compare the head curves.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Nearly all AG pumps are up rated so they should be similar in performance. The best thing to do is to compare the head curves.
    I looked at the curves, looks like the 1hp version of the hayward matrix is slightly higher than the 1 hp pentair dynamo...but close. However, the 3/4 for the pentair is lower. I do not know what the head curve is on my current pump to compare to. I have ordered the Matrix 1 hp 2 speed, but am now second guessing myself, and am thinking of the Dynamo 0.75 hp 2 speed. Any thoughts?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

You have a small pool, I would go with the smallest possible pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I do have the 4 solar panels on the roof, but my 3/4 does pump fine now...

7. Back To Top    #7

Another option that is less expensive is to replace just the motor with a two speed motor.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater